Country
    Thanks
    Suggestion type:
    Forum/FGunZ/Other
    FGunZ Client Edit

Suggestion title:
    View Distance

Suggestion description:
    The ability to change the View Distance of the character model through the options interface.

2. The following user said thank you to Madoff for this useful post:

Modal (04-07-2016)

Jetman's Avatar TBF Sage

Thanks
    I mentioned this to staff members in the past and it was turned down. Instead, i wrote an algorithm that sets the distance where it really should be, regardless of which resolution you're on (except maybe 4k).

4. The following user said thank you to Jetman for this useful post:

Madoff (04-06-2016)

StephanM's Avatar 🌹

Country
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by Jetman View Post
    I mentioned this to staff members in the past and it was turned down. Instead, i wrote an algorithm that sets the distance where it really should be, regardless of which resolution you're on (except maybe 4k).
    If you remember the reason why it was turned down.

Banned

Country
    Thanks
    If I recall, devmode already offers this and it wouldn't be hard to implement at all.

StephanM's Avatar 🌹

Country
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by Hex View Post
    If I recall, devmode already offers this and it wouldn't be hard to implement at all.
    It has some view changes, the reason it should not be added is that it can create a gameplay advantage (more view around a corner for example).

Banned

Country
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by StephanM View Post
    It has some view changes, the reason it should not be added is that it can create a gameplay advantage (more view around a corner for example).
    As far as I know there's a few people who wrote external programs to extend their view distance manually. Might as well make it a feature so that way at least everyone /has/ the option.

Then again, people would always just extend it further and further and that'd get ridiculous.

Iunno.

StephanM's Avatar 🌹

Country
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by Hex View Post
    As far as I know there's a few people who wrote external programs to extend their view distance manually. Might as well make it a feature so that way at least everyone /has/ the option.

Then again, people would always just extend it further and further and that'd get ridiculous.

Iunno.
    Rather not have a "cheating" view function, the game is fine right now with it's viewing distance, has been for all those years.
    And from a personal perspective I can tell isn't a great function to add as the game stays the same, besides the extra wall peeking (you can be safer with the same peek around a corner move, where in some maps you have to be near the corner, if you have the dev scroll out distance you can be safer for at least 15-20% from a corner).

Banned

Country
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by StephanM View Post
    Rather not have a "cheating" view function, the game is fine right now with it's viewing distance, has been for all those years.
    And from a personal perspective I can tell isn't a great function to add as the game stays the same, besides the extra wall peeking (you can be safer with the same peek around a corner move, where in some maps you have to be near the corner, if you have the dev scroll out distance you can be safer for at least 15-20% from a corner).
    Right. I feel nothing one way or the other.

Dave's Avatar 1' or 1=1--

Country
    Thanks
    Has been suggested before multiple times but declined because increasing the view distance to the maximum setting can give you an unfair advantage.
    It's a terrible thing, I think, in life to wait until you're ready.
    I have this feeling now that actually no one is ever ready to do anything.
    There is almost no such thing as ready. There is only now.
    And you may as well do it now. Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.

Thread Information