Pharaoh's Avatar Creative Minds Speak

Thanks
    Made of pure fun and spare time. Check out the description too btw

Azrael's Blade

Note:
    It's not a finished product,might tweak some textures.

2. The following 3 users say thank you to Pharaoh for this useful post:

Canpai (06-01-2017), Hateshiganai (06-01-2017), TomasEdison (06-01-2017)

Polarbear's Avatar New Member

Thanks
    476 vertices

tbh you could make this with 100 verts and it would still look the same in-game

4. The following user said thank you to Polarbear for this useful post:

Seb (06-01-2017)

Seb's Avatar me > chepolina > riokeshi

Country
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    476 vertices

spoken like styx
    let this game die

Thanks
    476 vertices

No it wont. The texture would still look same yeah but the model would look shitty and low defined. Only the cylinder makes it big anyway and I can easily tweak some parts if ever I want it to look like shit and with low definition. Besides,you should check out Maiet's swords it peaks to 1,500 verts. So dropping the verts is unnecessary. Think outside the box and details please I hate low analysis comments that just wants to shit post

Originally Posted by Seb View Post
    spoken like styx
    Like this guy. Been following my posts around all forums,not just here just to shitpost. Lmfao at him getting online here just for this. Loser.

Polarbear's Avatar New Member

Thanks
    Originally Posted by Seb View Post
    spoken like styx
    Nice to see someone who remembers him.

Originally Posted by Pharaoh View Post
    No it wont. The texture would still look same yeah but the model would look shitty and low defined. Only the cylinder makes it big anyway and I can easily tweak some parts if ever I want it to look like shit and with low definition. Besides,you should check out Maiet's swords it peaks to 1,500 verts. So dropping the verts is unnecessary. Think outside the box and details please I hate low analysis comments that just wants to shit post
    In game, that sword would be indistinguishable from a 100-200 vert version. Yes, the model would look worse, or low defined, in blender. But that's kind of the point. This game doesn't handle small details well at all. The extra verts, the extra small detail, on the model just gets wasted in inflated file sizes and unnoticeable differences.

I've been out of the modeling game for a long time. Any of Maiet's models that I have seen have always been extremely-low poly. They let the texture do the work. IF they did in fact make a sword with that many verts, I very much doubt they added the verts in such a way that the details are lost in game. I would be interested in a link, or the name of the sword if possible. Maybe they finally realized that people's computers can handle it.

As for additional criticism, it would appear that your texture is stretched along the sides of your hilt. (the thing between the blade and handle). Either that, or you've placed the mappings for those parts in rather color-diffuse places. Which is acceptable.

There is a single face on the hilt that does not appear to join with the rest of the cylinder. Could be the website's fault.

The texture mapping on the handle isn't quite uniform. The patterns on the faces of the handle do not match up. Each appears to be stretched in a different way. This is something that would likely be simpler to manage if you did not split the handle in so many places to attempt to add the curvature, which will go unnoticed ingame.

&you are correct, the cylinder on the handle contains 80% of the verts in this model. It could be a 5 or 6 vert cylinder and it would look the same ingame.

It's cool to see people are still learning this stuff though. Keep on going.
    Last edited by Polarbear; 06-01-2017 at 01:38 PM.

Thanks
    Nice to see someone who remembers him.

In game, that sword would be indistinguishable from a 100-200 vert version. Yes, the model would look worse, or low defined, in blender. But that's kind of the point. This game doesn't handle small details well at all. The extra verts, the extra small detail, on the model just gets wasted in inflated file sizes and unnoticeable differences.

I've been out of the modeling game for a long time. Any of Maiet's models that I have seen have always been extremely-low poly. They let the texture do the work. IF they did in fact make a sword with that many verts, I very much doubt they added the verts in such a way that the details are lost in game. I would be interested in a link, or the name of the sword if possible. Maybe they finally realized that people's computers can handle it.

As for additional criticism, it would appear that your texture is stretched along the sides of your hilt. (the thing between the blade and handle). Either that, or you've placed the mappings for those parts in rather color-diffuse places. Which is acceptable.

There is a single face on the hilt that does not appear to join with the rest of the cylinder. Could be the website's fault.

The texture mapping on the handle isn't quite uniform. The patterns on the faces of the handle do not match up. Each appears to be stretched in a different way. This is something that would likely be simpler to manage if you did not split the handle in so many places to attempt to add the curvature, which will go unnoticed ingame.

&you are correct, the cylinder on the handle contains 80% of the verts in this model. It could be a 5 or 6 vert cylinder and it would look the same ingame.

It's cool to see people are still learning this stuff though. Keep on going.
    Cant link it to you since I'm on phone right now. As for the cylinder,if it's ever going to be added in game I would do so but I don't think it's necessary for now since there is no "go" sign for me that they would. Either way,like I said earlier I might tweak the texture since i made that for fun and didn't care about the texture a lot and I got no photoshop in my cousin's computer lol ��. Anyways thanks for the reply,I love it when people reply like this it's more intellectual that sound's like Wucas lol

StephanM's Avatar 🌹

Country
    Thanks
    Not sure what happend here

Also mind uploading your texture cause I am curious what you did (looks kinda split/weird).

476 vertices

He never stated it was for GunZ, and if it was you are correct, probably even below 60 if you use the handle and guard at 6-8 dot cylinder.

Thanks
    I'm not sure how to put this since i don't want to be an absolute meanie and talk bad about your entire model. I know i will first list off problems on the model and texture and then i will tell you how you can improve on them and make a more uniform and balanced sword. Alright? lets get started!!!!!

First off lets go over the shape of your katana. to put it bluntly the thing is crooked and contains some awkward geometry. to fix this issue all you have to do is work on the axis at all times. never deviate from the XYZ axis. you can lock mesh movements to an axis by hitting G for guide and then hitting either X, Y or Z to lock it to an axis. never move single verts one at a time as that causes Asymmetry in the topology and will make your model a nightmare when the time for texturing comes along.

now your vert count. this one is very simple it's high, very high at least its high for such a simple model. lets break down the katana model into 3 sections
    there is the Blade, the guard and the handle. out of those 3 parts you need to create your sword. now for a katana the design is very simple. it is very streamline and realistic which means there are no curving bits or fancy extruding parts that would require more topology; Lets break down each part of the katana starting with the blade . the Blade of a katana is a slightly curved blade that becomes more extreme towards the tip. you can achive a curve like this by breaking down the blade into 3 parts, the bottom, middle and tip. at the end of the bottom make a cut into the mesh and drag the rest of the sword slightly up. do the same at the end of the middle. and now for the tip. to get the more extreme curve i just add in a fourth cut in the third section and drag the very tip of the blade up more then the rest. in other words set up a reference image within blender/3dsmax/maya and keep the mesh in wireframe mode so you can see through it. to do this in blender all you have to do is press N on your keyboard this will bring up a menu on the right hand side. scroll through all those options untill you see Background Images. click add image and locate the reference image on your computer.

next up we have the hilt, the hilt of the katana is circular and should continue off the handle. you can do this by extruding the top of the handle and scaling the mesh on all three axis at the same time. i recommend scaling it slightly and extruding it again to scale it the rest of the way to the perfered size. this gives a nice curve to the hilt. if you don't want a curve to the hilt then you can do a series of scales to make the hilt flush with the handle. to achieve this all you have to do is select the ending verts and Extrude them. as soon as you press that golden E button to extrude you must right click to cancel the scale now with them still selected just press that nice S key and drag it to the preferred size once that is done extrude it again and drag it out to get the thickness and you're done, one thing that i do is bevel the edges of the hilt. even tho this adds alot more verts i love the way it looks. and if you are working with 8 vert cylinders like i do it will only add in 16 extra verts which aint no mud on a pig

now we have the handle. this one is so simple i can explain it in a few words. use 8 vert cylinders drag the back of the cylinder to the length and you're done. just use the top of the cylinder to form the hilt.

and there you have it. one low poly low vert almost ready for gunz katana. if you follow these steps you can easily cut down on vert counts by 75%.

oh and one more thing. texturing. im getting tired of typing now so ima sum this one up in a few simple words.

Unwrap the model use high quality images (if you texture with an assortment of pictures) and thats it

now the client is almost downloaded so ima go play some of that good good for the first time in 3 years bye

-CJay

Thread Information