Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thanks
    Do any of you own gaming laptops with maybe 6th or 7th gen i7 processors? If so, what kind of games do you play and what are your average cpu idle & gaming temperatures? I still use my old PC for games as of now, but I realized my laptop's been running quite hot (95 while gaming) in spite of replacing the thermal grease and cleaning out the dust. Not sure if this is acceptable or I need an additional cooling pad or something.

StephanM's Avatar 🌹

Country
    Thanks
    i5 is fine for playing games.
    Also sounds to me you just need to replace something for your laptop (either A; your whole laptop due aging, B; a cooling pad might work but sounds like a temp. solution).

Thanks
    It's not old at all; I bought it last year and only started using it for gaming this week, which is when I noticed the temperatures. I cleaned out the dust and replaced the thermal grease today, but it's still running quite hot for some reason.

Freestyler

Country
    Thanks
    What is your cpu temperature while idle ?

I think cooling pads have been a fluke, those don't really cool your cpu as much as they say they'll do.

Bunny's Avatar woof.

Country
    Thanks
    Keep in mind that as long as your cpu doesnt exceed 90-95 degrees then it should do no harm; its built to sustain such tempartures (unless there are other nearby parts near it that might be harmed as a result).

Freestyler

Country
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Keep in mind that as long as your cpu doesnt exceed 90-95 degrees then it should do no harm; its built to sustain such tempartures (unless there are other nearby parts near it that might be harmed as a result).
    Not really true, while it may work and you can play without a problem. You significantly reduce the durability of your cpu. I wouldn't be comfortable with a cpu running at 90-95 degrees.

However, its important to know what the temperature of the cpu is while running idle. This should indicate if the issue is software/hardware related.

Thanks
    Originally Posted by Ganggbangg View Post
    Not really true, while it may work and you can play without a problem. You significantly reduce the durability of your cpu. I wouldn't be comfortable with a cpu running at 90-95 degrees.

However, its important to know what the temperature of the cpu is while running idle. This should indicate if the issue is software/hardware related.
    Idle temps fluctuate anywhere between 40-70 while in 'Eco' mode and go up to 80-85 in 'Sport' mode. That certainly isn't normal.

Freestyler

Country
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by EternalBeast View Post
    Idle temps fluctuate anywhere between 40-70 while in 'Eco' mode and go up to 80-85 in 'Sport' mode. That certainly isn't normal.
    Yup, thats not normal.

If as you said the laptop is only 1 year old you should still have warranty and you could return it.

If you don't wanna go that route, dm me the laptop brand/type i'll see if i can find a possible solution if you want to.

Thanks
    It's been 13 months, so I've run out of warranty (and my audio jack just HAD to stop working right after the warranty period). It's an MSI GE62VR 7RF. Don't spend time searching for solutions, though. I just made this topic to find out if people with similar laptops had any heating issues.

Freestyler

Country
    Thanks
    It's been 13 months, so I've run out of warranty (and my audio jack just HAD to stop working right after the warranty period). It's an MSI GE62VR 7RF. Don't spend time searching for solutions, though. I just made this topic to find out if people with similar laptops had any heating issues.
    https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...q/index_en.htm

unless you are not from europe but let's say UK
    https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...m/index_en.htm

You could always try and hope for the best though

- - - Updated - - -

You actually have a pretty good laptop which makes it even weirder that this is happening.. I'll let you know if i can find something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information