Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fay's Avatar Inactive

Country
    Thanks
    Quick disclaimer; This is my personal opinion. I'm writing this as a player and as an event team member. I'm making this thread as a way to state my opinion and create a place for you all to give your opinions on the current state of events and the matters surrounding that. This thread is not intended to be flame zone. Please keep it polite and civil.

Hello there Freestylers,

First of all, I would like to give a genuine thank you to all of the players who, despite the decline in popularity, still play and enjoy the events that are being hosted. I would also like to thank all of you who keep trying to improve the events in many ways, like giving your feedback on test events and posting new event suggestions. You guys are the reason I enjoy hosting and playing events so much and why this game is so much fun for me.

That being said, I'd like to make some statements about the current state of the Events. As most of us know, there has been quite some negative tension and influence in and surrounding the events. I, like many of you, have grown up playing this game. I have very fond memories of playing it, especially the events. That's why it pains me to see how the once so exciting events have turned into quite the disarray. I believe this is happening because of a couple reasons.

Reason one: A decline in players playing the events.

Unfortunately, we've seen a decline in players who play the events. I remember there being a 2nd room a couple years back, because there were ~70 players wanting to participate. Nowadays, it's rare to see a full room. For me, it's more fun when there are a lot of players in the events. As Michi stated in Bunny's thread, having less players makes it easier to focus on a the players who DO join the event. There comes the second reason into play.

Reason two: Conflicts between Event Team Members and Players.

I feel like this is a big one. I'm not sure how it happened, but there has been a big increase in conflicts between ETs and players. This has caused countless arguments, threads and reports. I feel like it will only increase in intensity the longer it goes on. What I think some people are forgetting is that there is a symbiotic relationship between the hosts and players. Without players, the event team is pretty much worthless. Without hosts, there would be no events. That's why it's very important to have a good balance and mutual understanding between the two parties. I know it's not going to be easy, but I would ask my fellow event team members and all of the players to forget their grudges and start over. It might be too optimistic, but I really think giving each other a second chance without falling back on the past will add a more positive vibe to the overall situation.

Reason three: A lack of diversity in the events.

Let's be honest here, it's clear that there are popular and unpopular events. The popular events like Lms, Hns, Rocketman and dodgeball are hosted far more often than less popular events like Attributes Touchdown, Bumper cars, Red Light Green Light and PvP events. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, because there is a reason why they're popular; a lot of people find them fun to play. However, the events that are hosted less often won't be understood as well by the players, and sometimes even the staff. When I applied for ET, I'd never even played events like Basketball or Musical Chairs. However, due to my experience with the other events, I quickly learned how they worked and even how to host them. I'm sure some of my fellow event team members are in the same boat as me. What I'm trying to say with this is, don't bash the staff members for making a mistake in their events. Tell them what they did wrong and how to do it better next time. Of course, the staff members will have to listen to the feedback and make their decision accordingly. They are spending their time to make the playing experience more enjoyable for you guys, so a little patience goes a long way.

In the end, it's a sensitive subject, but should not be ignored. I would like all of you to think about it and give your opinions on the matter. Thank you for spending your time reading this and I hope this will shine a new light onto the matter.

- Bram

2. The following 4 users say thank you to Fay for this useful post:

Bipolarity (11-08-2019), Complaint (11-08-2019), Hulk (11-08-2019), Ommadawn (11-08-2019)

Divine's Avatar Ex Head Game Moderator

Country
    Thanks
    My suggestion:

A strike system, when an ET makes an event if a certain player is annoying/insulting and seems to pinpoint every single mistake then you should be able to kick them ONLY from your sets of events in that hour/two. Of course we will note down each user kicked and why, so no one will be abusing this function.

If the same player has been kicked from every single event by all of the ET members then we can look into banning these individuals from playing events for lets say a month?

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."

"The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all."

4. The following user said thank you to Divine for this useful post:

Ommadawn (11-08-2019)

Bunny's Avatar woof.

Country
    Thanks
    While it's true that (personally) my way of approaching criticism is often rejected by most event moderators (sometimes rightfully, sometimes wrongfully, rejecting based on personality/history/situation that appears to make it so i only complain when i lose), People often tell me that I'm the only one complaining when the truth is so many players that have stuck around for years (i can name more than 10), are more often than not complaining in either team chat, to themselves, or only tell me about it.
    This gives the impression that i'm the only one complaining and therefore i am hated for it by both staff members and players such as the individuals who randomly hated on me because i was criticizing a dodgeball round that was hosted with mines spread around the map and admin (standard) grenadelaunchers (???? dodgeball btw).

Point is, I'm not the only person to be upset about the way current events are hosted, everyone whos been an active player a few years ago (for example michi, who replied to my debate thread asking for dodgeball rounds to go back to how they once were, without all those annoying elements that arent fun to dodge, except fire) would agree that the way a lot of events are hosted but never say anything except in environments like these where your opinion is 'accepted'. The truth is, not. enough. people. are. speaking. out. about. how. events. are. hosted.

And i'm not claiming its the staff's fault. Some of them haven't been around when events were as popular as you remember (2 rooms, 70 players, etc), and have no idea of how 70 players liked them which is completely fine.
    What's unacceptable to me however, is something ive already mentioned in the debate thread, and its the refusal to accept the need for change in way of hosting and direct refusal of any constructive criticism outside of these threads. People are terrified to speak up their mind because they know most staff members will go nuts on them and hate on them as much as they hate on me.

Regardless, I would only shortly comment on the other points in the thread and say that sometimes some events are picked more than others because staff are not experienced enough in hosting some events and well, if you never learn the basis for anything in life, you would never truly appreciate or like it when it becomes a relevant part of your life. Take medstyle for example, an event that was asked for many many times in the past yet hosted not nearly as frequently when you compare the requests for dodgeball and frequency of dodgeball being hosted.

Secondly, as Noa stated, the relationship between staff and players should remain professional, players would not be accepted as trials if it was known they cant keep a professional attitude when tension is high in an event.

I think resorting to a system where you have to implement a ban system from events is the opposite direction and would cause even more tension, and lets not forget that said system would only cause less players to join events and make them actually terrified to say anything if they know staff are unstable with their banning-from-events powers.

Lastly, I greatly appreciate the efforts you put into adding diversity in events, I hope more will follow that path.

6. The following 2 users say thank you to Bunny for this useful post:

Fay (11-08-2019), Zabu (11-08-2019)

Michi's Avatar spread kindness

Country
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by Divine View Post
    My suggestion:

A strike system, when an ET makes an event if a certain player is annoying/insulting and seems to pinpoint every single mistake then you should be able to kick them ONLY from your sets of events in that hour/two. Of course we will note down each user kicked and why, so no one will be abusing this function.

If the same player has been kicked from every single event by all of the ET members then we can look into banning these individuals from playing events for lets say a month?
    Don’t agree with the harshness of this, should only be a case by case scenario and limited to a set rather than a month. (Although I personally believe the most a player should be removed from the game should be max 1 event)

OR Maybe @admins can input an in-game option to mute specific players in an event room, must be redone for every room made as opposed to just completely banish a player.

My opinion of this is that the ETs signed up for this pressure, and as it can get rough, if they build a strong enough case that actually has harassment in it, the offender can maybe be subject to a mute.

Originally Posted by Bunny
    I think resorting to a system where you have to implement a ban system from events is the opposite direction and would cause even more tension, and lets not forget that said system would only cause less players to join events and make them actually terrified to say anything if they know staff are unstable with their banning-from-events powers
    this
    Last edited by Michi; 11-08-2019 at 12:48 AM.

McSic's Avatar L e a d e r

Thanks
    Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    I think resorting to a system where you have to implement a ban system from events is the opposite direction and would cause even more tension, and lets not forget that said system would only cause less players to join events and make them actually terrified to say anything if they know staff are unstable with their banning-from-events powers.
    Fair point.

#1Chef's Avatar FGunZ E.L.I.T.E Member

Country
    Thanks
    I can only talk from experience, but as an ET I really didn't give a **** about the continuous talk of certain users who are just there to be annoying, as a staff member I feel like you should just have a thick skin and be able to shun that stuff out. Doesn't matter if you're the most likeable user in the community, if you become staff, you're gonna get shit talked regardless. I'm not saying staff should allow extreme verbal abuse, but small comments that are said just to get under someone's skin should be disregarded.

10. The following 5 users say thank you to #1Chef for this useful post:

Amers (11-10-2019), Divine (11-08-2019), Fay (11-08-2019), justRelax (11-08-2019), Michi (11-08-2019)

Fay's Avatar Inactive

Country
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by Divine View Post
    My suggestion:

I think adding a negative consequence to this will only make things worse. I think that a positive solution is the way to go in this situation.

Originally Posted by #1Chef View Post
    I can only talk from experience, but as an ET I really didn't give a **** about the continuous talk of certain users who are just there to be annoying, as a staff member I feel like you should just have a thick skin and be able to shun that stuff out. Doesn't matter if you're the most likeable user in the community, if you become staff, you're gonna get shit talked regardless. I'm not saying staff should allow extreme verbal abuse, but small comments that are said just to get under someone's skin should be disregarded.
    I 100% agree with this.

NOTɴɪᴍᴇʀ

Thanks
    Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Point is, I'm not the only person to be upset about the way current events are hosted, everyone whos been an active player a few years ago (for example michi, who replied to my debate thread asking for dodgeball rounds to go back to how they once were, without all those annoying elements that arent fun to dodge, except fire) would agree that the way a lot of events are hosted but never say anything except in environments like these where your opinion is 'accepted'. The truth is, not. enough. people. are. speaking. out. about. how. events. are. hosted.
    This ^
    we want some fair plays instead of ets rushing the event(with these rockets)with impossible phases to end it faster
    ,remove these element rockets or make a specific event for them.
    Nimer K.

Michi's Avatar spread kindness

Country
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by Nimer View Post
    This ^
    we want some fair plays instead of ets rushing the event(with these rockets)with impossible phases to end it faster
    ,remove these element rockets or make a specific event for them.
    Id assume that the newer admin weapons were implemented in order to expand the creativity of newer events.. I actually think I have one in mind.
    But I also agree with this, although I’ve been told there are people that enjoy this (don’t know how,.. but)

Ommadawn's Avatar Bird + Trash = ?

Country
    Thanks
    I'm not an ET myself but I do believe I have enough experience with events so, this is my personal point of view.

I do believe that the relationship between staff and players should remain professional, however I also think it's important to know how to make a good environment. Events are supposed to be fun, to the normal users and to the hosters as well, if it isn't fun, then what's the point of it?
    A note to the normal users: You have no idea how much impact you have just by calling one of the hosters an idiot. Even if the hoster did a mistake, which can happen sometimes because we are all humans and we learn how to improve ourselves everyday, it can honestly ruin the whole event simply because you made the hoster upset. Such comments can force the hoster to be more strict on the players' behaviour instead of actually hosting the event. I agree that we shouldn't react to every small comment but eventually, we are hosting for YOU, not for ourselves.

Another thing, it is rare to see more than 20 players in events. However, I don't think it has something to do with anyone, it's really because of the player-count. As you can see, McSic is doing his best to satisfy everyone and there were many updates lately, everyone should be grateful for that, I know I am.

I want to agree with the 'strike system' but just like Bunny said, it will make a negative environment. Some of the ETs might abuse it and some of the players won't even talk because they are too afraid. However, I do feel sometimes that there are specific users (I won't mention their names) who join the events just to annoy the staff members. Of course that's not their main goal because everyone tries to win EPs, but that's one of their goals. The only reason I'd agree with the 'strike system' is to stop those specific players. But, just like I said in the ET chat, we can't afford losing players, also I don't wanna lose players (I believe none wants that).

Another note about the new rockets, I do like them because it brings more creativity to the game. Some of the oldgens might agree with me, Dodgeball in cybersports was fkin lit, but come on, let's be realistic, it's just boring if you keep everything the same, even though you might win all the time. As much as it's annoying and hard, I say keep them.

15. The following 2 users say thank you to Ommadawn for this useful post:

Complaint (11-08-2019), Divine (11-08-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information