Gem system:
Epic idea by S1lent (and me), it worked really well but in all honesty the number that were given to each gem where not done by us but McSic.
Personally I think if the number would be lower and no donation option the system would've been perfect as a new addition to the game where you had a few different options to choose from, whether you wanted a little bit more defense, offense or utility.

Ranked system:
It should not be too hard if you want to combine the clan system into the duel mode if you'd ask me.
But I had this idea back when Wucas was a developer, I am sure other developers had this idea too but never created it.
Even had cosmetical rewards planned so you could show your skill to others after a ladder reset.

Achievements:
Worked on this with Jetman but we never finished it, we did had a working base for this project but it was only an alpha state.
Personally I am a huge fan of achievement systems in games, another thing where you could show off your skill, time and dedication to the game.

New modes:
For me the only mode I would like to see is Parkour mode, not for me to play but for our skilled players that complete the skillmap courses.
Would be nice to have an actual mode for this with progression steps, difficulties and experience reward so your effort is rewarded.
Difficulties would be based on how fast you can complete a skillmap, the harder the more experience you get.
The progression steps would be shows by an arrow to indicate where you need to go (like quest, where it shows you the way to the portal to go to the next stage).

I think it is really hard to determine what would get old players back to the game and what could attract new players to the game.