Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bunny's Avatar woof.

Country
    Thanks
    Earlier today, a set was hosted where in 2 of its events, players were only allowed to win 1 point max in the whole event. What this means is, that if you won a round, you can either leave because you cant win anymore or waste your time playing the event (disregarding the fun aspect for now).

This is a worsening of a state events were in for the past ~2 years, which is that players were not allowed to win more than 3 points in a race event of any kind except deathrace. This is somewhat understandable, because getting better at racing takes exponentially more time the more you want to improve.
    However, a few months ago a trend started of limiting players, supposedly randomly, from winning more than 3, in popular events like dodgeball, run from nade, etc. However, there was an obvious connection between limitation of players from winning and those players being consistent winners.

It can be explained by using the argument that other players should get a chance to win because the event is made for all players and not just a few, but there are a few reasons why i consider this statement/reason an outrage and should therefore be removed from any event that does not have an ultimatum of winners like in race (--exponentially more time for better results).

• There is a general consensus that players are overall getting better over time. I can say personally that winning consistently has become harder over time and many more players are getting to the level of winning that can be considered consistent. This means that limiting the number of winnings per player prevents players from striving to become better at a certain event because they dont have to try as hard to win if a player better than them cant win.
    • Giving other players a chance to win is determined from the moment they join an event. They have a chance to win regardless of who else has a chance to win.
    • There is less of a liking towards events that are determined by luck by all players except those that absolutely never win otherwise, which means that events are almost always skill based. What this means is, that it would be highly unfair to prevent a skilled player from winning a skill-based event, especially if he practiced or gained experience over the years for the event.

Ignoring these points for a second, an event moderator brought it to my attention that apparently everyone in the event team now limits winning in every event to 3, which, according to other event moderators is not true.
    The community would appreciate a clearer explanation of the way event moderators decide limiting winnings per player to prevent future questions like "what is the max wins in this event?".

/discuss

2. The following user said thank you to Bunny for this useful post:

Complaint (11-23-2019)

Complaint's Avatar Junior Member

Country
    Thanks
    i agree, but we have like 20-30 players every set, if you host race and there is one player like you we have 1% chance to win(and i am talking about skilled players), and most players would just leave cause why even try.
    i suggest +3 max, and after that if you manage to win again you will get +4 and 2nd place will get +1. everyone happy
    so you can get +5 in every event and other players can still win.

4. The following user said thank you to Complaint for this useful post:

Bunny (11-23-2019)

Bunny's Avatar woof.

Country
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by Complaint View Post
    i agree, but we have like 20-30 players every set, if you host race and there is one player like you we have 1% chance to win(and i am talking about skilled players), and most players would just leave cause why even try.
    i suggest +3 max, and after that if you manage to win again you will get +4 and 2nd place will get +1. everyone happy
    I'm not talking about race though, the rule has been used on other events where there is not an ultimatum of the same people winning like in race.

Country
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    I'm not talking about race though, the rule has been used on other events where there is not an ultimatum of the same people winning like in race.
    that is why i said i agree with you ._.

Banned

Thanks
    Or just get good? This sounds dumb as hell, but it's the truth. Bunny has dedicated his life to fgunz it would seem, and it's the reason he wins so much, which is fully deserving for the time he's spent on the game.

Bunny's Avatar woof.

Country
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by NOA View Post
    Or just get good? This sounds dumb as hell, but it's the truth. Bunny has dedicated his life to fgunz it would seem, and it's the reason he wins so much, which is fully deserving for the time he's spent on the game.
    I didn't dedicate my life however, I've been just playing for years and have experience. I don't go out of my way in a supermario3 room and practice racing to get better (and never have). The same can be said for other events, ive been just playing them alot over the years and know the intricacies which is why i win alot. The thing is that im not the only one, so i dont think its fair to limit someone and thus prevent a healthy competition that always existed.

Country
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by NOA View Post
    i wasn't talking about me, i win in race events and i enjoy the competition, i was talking about the avg player.
    if you had 0% winning chance would you dedicate your time and try to win it? ofc you won't.
    why just troll? what i suggested will enable anyone to win +5 in any event and still leave some room for other players to win.

Amers's Avatar Freestyler

Country
    Thanks
    i wasn't talking about me, i win in race events and i enjoy the competition, i was talking about the avg player.
    if you had 0% winning chance would you dedicate your time and try to win it? ofc you won't.
    why just troll? what i suggested will enable anyone to win +5 in any event and still leave some room for other players to win.
    TOP 10 Greatest Arguments For Communism
    "Nobody cares, work harder"
    Love everyone, but trust no one

Fay's Avatar Inactive

Country
    Thanks
    I don't think it's necessary to limit the amount of points you can win in events other than the ones which always have clear winners, like Race/LOLRACE/DFD and sometimes Medstyle. These events are usually won by the same people, therefore I think the +3 max rule is justified. However, the rule should not be applied to the other events, since the winners are usually diverse. A limit of +1 should in my opinion never be applied unless there is a good reason for it.

Events should be fun for everyone. If only a select group of people win the events, it's not that fun for those who don't win as often. However, limiting the amount of points won would, like Bunny said, give those who already won no reason to further participate in the events.

All in all:

• The +3 rule should only be applied in events like Race/LOLRACE/DFD/Medstyle
    • +1 limit should never be a thing unless there is a good reason in my opinion.
    • I don't limit my events to have a +3 cap unless its one of the events mentioned above.

It's possible for other ET's to host with different standards, so asking them would still be a recommended.

12. The following 5 users say thank you to Fay for this useful post:

Divine (11-23-2019), Lin (11-23-2019), Ommadawn (11-23-2019), ParisRS (11-23-2019), Puma (11-23-2019)

Bunny's Avatar woof.

Country
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by Bram View Post
    I don't think it's necessary to limit the amount of points you can win in events other than the ones which always have clear winners, like Race/LOLRACE/DFD and sometimes Medstyle. These events are usually won by the same people, therefore I think the +3 max rule is justified. However, the rule should not be applied to the other events, since the winners are usually diverse. A limit of +1 should in my opinion never be applied unless there is a good reason for it.

Events should be fun for everyone. If only a select group of people win the events, it's not that fun for those who don't win as often. However, limiting the amount of points won would, like Bunny said, give those who already won no reason to further participate in the events.

All in all:

• The +3 rule should only be applied in events like Race/LOLRACE/DFD/Medstyle
    • +1 limit should never be a thing unless there is a good reason in my opinion.
    • I don't limit my events to have a +3 cap unless its one of the events mentioned above.

It's possible for other ET's to host with different standards, so asking them would still be a recommended.
    I really appreciate the response, but after a discussion with another event moderator that claimed everyone thinks like you do, I would greatly appreciate responses from other event moderators stating how they would do their own events. Afterall, they decide how theyre going to host and whats best for the players which is fine (unless completely illogical), so opinions from them would give players a better understanding of how they mean to do their events.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information