Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    μ

Country
    Thanks
    hey. can't believe I'm only just seeing this, this looks awesome!

the complex AI part looks really interesting but I wouldn't even know where to start with training a model based on gunz inputs. There are so many possible combinations with mouse and key movements that I can see it getting complicated very quick haha.

to cut corners for the simple ai, would it be possible to reuse code from quest npcs? i have no idea what the gunz source code looks like though, so maybe looking at code written 20 years ago might not be the easiest thing in the world, let alone making changes to it!

but honestly, it's so nice to see some community projects starting to surface. this is exactly what i come to these forums to see! best of luck with your project and I hope it doesn't hit any walls!
    Last edited by Shino; 01-20-2021 at 12:09 AM.

Country
    Thanks
    Thanks for the encouragement fellas!

Originally Posted by Shino View Post
    hey. can't believe I'm only just seeing this, this looks awesome!

the complex AI part looks really interesting but I wouldn't even know where to start with training a model based on gunz inputs. There are so many possible combinations with mouse and key movements that I can see it getting complicated very quick haha.

to cut corners for the simple ai, would it be possible to reuse code from quest npcs? i have no idea what the gunz source code looks like though, so maybe looking at code written 20 years ago might not be the easiest thing in the world, let alone making changes to it!

but honestly, it's so nice to see some community projects starting to surface. this is exactly what i come to these forums to see! best of luck with your project and I hope it doesn't hit any walls!
    Yeah, the complex AI is a whole nother animal. It takes a team of seasoned developers to make anything decent (ie AlphaStar on Starcraft II), not to mention the high cost for constantly running the AI + many instances. More accurately, the vast majority of the high cost would come from training the bot, which takes exponential time and resources.

The simple AI is more practical, but will be a whole nother project in of itself.

As for the Gunz quest NPCs. They utilize a super duper simple AI; Path-finding using the A-Star algorithm, and when NPC is in range and "see" the target. Attack.

I'm not using any AI for that "/bot follow" GIF demo I just posted. I just calculated a direction vector based on the player's and bot's position, and then set a velocity to the bot. It seems to be better than using path-finding in this particular case since the bot can follow you up walls and over pits.

I'm hoping to allow people to build their own pseudo AI in-game.
    For example doing:
    /bot spawn
    /bot god
    /bot aim Tom
    /bot bf forward
    /bot counter 180

Would yield a god-moded bot that butterflies towards Tom, and counters with a reverse massive if it gets one.

Edit: Something like this.
    Last edited by Frooples; 03-19-2021 at 01:21 AM.

3. The following user said thank you to Frooples for this useful post:

A_Luckybox (01-20-2021)

Thread Information