Country
    Thanks
    Name: Ben

Languages (Programming and/or other): C#, Python, JavaScript, Golang, SQL (Postgres and MSSQL), Kotlin, Java, C (it's been a while, I took an operating systems class in college and remember how pointers work, but would have to brush up on C++), Bash, HTML/CSS

Skills / Experience: Software Engineering (10 years professionally), knowledge of security/vulnerability analysis. Note: my experience is all backend/frontend for web apps - no game dev experience, but want to learn!

Proof of work: I work for a fairly well known tech company in the USA, so not comfortable sharing this publicly, but happy to DM and provide more details (github, linkedin, examples of a web app that I built, etc are all available)

Is all proof of work your own work? Yes

Closing: Hey all! I'm a professional software engineer with about 10 years of total experience. In the past, I've worked on all sorts of stuff (government contracting, social networks, logistics, etc.) except for game development! Would love to get a bit more experience with game dev in my free time and contribute some bug fixes to fgunz. I've been playing GunZ on and off since the initial igunz launch in 2005 so I have a bunch of ideas for what I'd like to improve. Let me know! Thank you in advance
    Last edited by Bensky; 10-23-2020 at 07:15 AM.

2. The following 3 users say thank you to Bensky for this useful post:

Bipolarity (10-30-2020), Daniel (10-24-2020), TomasEdison (10-24-2020)

McSic's Avatar L e a d e r

Thanks
    Hi, thanks for applying.

You seem to have a lot of experience with developing but as you say yourself, none with game development, which also means none regarding GunZ development, which could be rather bad when applying for a GunZ developer position (C++ btw).

I would like to hear what bugs exactly you plan to fix in FGunZ and what ideas you have for what you'd like to improve, since that seems to be your reason for applying.

Please be aware that you wouldn't get access to our current source since you seem to be new in this community and haven't built any trust among us, but you probably knew that.

Country
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by McSic View Post
    Hi, thanks for applying.

You seem to have a lot of experience with developing but as you say yourself, none with game development, which also means none regarding GunZ development, which could be rather bad when applying for a GunZ developer position (C++ btw).
    All good - I'm quick to learn and generally have no issue with unfamiliar/large codebases. In every single job I've ever held, I've had to learn a new language on the job, so this is nothing new to me when it comes to having to learn C++. I don't mind the challenge.

I would like to hear what bugs exactly you plan to fix in FGunZ and what ideas you have for what you'd like to improve, since that seems to be your reason for applying.
    Here are a few ideas and fixes that I've been thinking about in no particular order:
    - Chat length issue with messages getting cut off after N characters
    - Password features: "remember my password", 2FA
    - Custom map downloads (either peer-to-peer in-game or centralized with users uploading maps to a portal and requiring admin approval - latter likely being a safer implementation)
    - Twitch integration - although you all have already done that, possibly adding some more info like dmg/# of players in the room
    - Sniper rifle improvements (press a button to zoom in/out / change scope levels)
    - Grenade launcher improvements (grenades take too long to go off currently, it's a bit of an awkward weapon)
    - Anti-gravity mode (with k style existing and everyone already bouncing off walls this may not be that useful)
    - Something like Garry's Mod where you have a weapon that can spawn terrain/items on the map

Let me know what you think.

Please be aware that you wouldn't get access to our current source since you seem to be new in this community and haven't built any trust among us, but you probably knew that.
    Yes, not having source code access initially is good with me. I get that I only have one post and trust is certainly something that needs to be earned. Totally fine

Cheers!
    Last edited by Bensky; 10-24-2020 at 09:34 PM.

5. The following 2 users say thank you to Bensky for this useful post:

Daniel (10-24-2020), TomasEdison (10-24-2020)

Country
    Thanks
    Hey @McSic, any thoughts on the above? Thanks!

McSic's Avatar L e a d e r

Thanks
    Hey, after discussing this with Dave, we came to the conclusion that we currently don't need another coder. We will let you know if that ever changes. Thank you for applying.

8. The following user said thank you to McSic for this useful post:

Kavi (10-29-2020)

Thread Information