KingScuba's Avatar New Member

Thanks
    Suggestion type: FGunZ

Suggestion description: Create a way to one tap Dash for new players to get into the game. (Instead of WW, just W)

GunZ Is a pretty extreme game just from the basics mechanically, and most new players in my experience get turned off from having to dash AND do the mechanics.

Basically, Just create a simple keybind in the in game key config that flat out dashes with a basic delay built in (What a standard player could do in normal circumstances), but removes the ability to walk for the most part. This could serve as a nice training wheels of sorts to let people enjoy the game faster, but at the same time rewarding them for taking OFF the training wheels and learning how to fully dash once they come to terms with regular timings (Butterfly, HS, etc)

Not going to lie, back in international, this is what kept me going in the game at all. I setup a basic AHK script to output WASD as double taps. It was a great way to let me get into the game, and when I got a handle on everything, I took it off.

Limitations needed :

Unable to bind the dash key and regular movements.
    - This would make it so you cannot walk or utilize momentum control. This would be the reward for learning how to dash naturally.

Enable a minor delay
    - This delay between being able to input presses should be at roughly the same speed an average full speed player has access to, about a .2s ~ .25s Delay, meaning you should be able to get 4 ~ 5 dashes per second (2 HS or 3.5 BFLY Per Second is considered pretty decent speed)

- If the delay is too small, it can open up for abuse, if the delay is too long you get "Ghost" inputs, which are an equally bad issue.
    Last edited by KingScuba; 05-02-2021 at 10:54 PM.

Jonathan pls's Avatar Uh suma luma duma luma

Country
    Thanks
    I disagree. You're never gonna learn harder moves if dashing is too hard. With this bind it would be impossible to walk forward because you instantly dash, i could think of 300 more reasons this is a bad idea in my opinion but I think you get the point

3. The following user said thank you to Jonathan pls for this useful post:

Polar (05-02-2021)

Thanks
    Originally Posted by Jonathan pls View Post
    I disagree. You're never gonna learn harder moves if dashing is too hard. With this bind it would be impossible to walk forward because you instantly dash, i could think of 300 more reasons this is a bad idea in my opinion but I think you get the point
    That would be the exact tradeoff I mentioned above for having it as a training wheel option yes. I also said that's how I personally learned this game as well. If I did not have that training wheel, I probably would have just up and quit.

GunZ Has possibly the highest learning curve of any game, period. Why not let new players have the ability to focus on the base mechanics (Slash, Block, Jump, Switches) for the tradeoff of not being able to fully control their character through walking and momentum control?

So long as there's a minor delay built in between being able to use it so people can't abuse it (i.E the Holy Star glitch), I see zero issues. and it wouldn't give people a competitive edge.

It's not hard to learn to dash later, but it's a HUGE stumbling block for most new players.
    Last edited by KingScuba; 05-02-2021 at 10:46 PM.

Jonathan pls's Avatar Uh suma luma duma luma

Country
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by KingScuba View Post
    That would be the exact tradeoff I mentioned above for having it as a training wheel option yes. I also said that's how I personally learned this game as well. If I did not have that training wheel, I probably would have just up and quit.

GunZ Has possibly the highest learning curve of any game, period. Why not let new players have the ability to focus on the base mechanics (Slash, Block, Jump, Switches) for the tradeoff of not being able to fully control their character through walking and momentum control?

So long as there's a minor delay built in between being able to use it so people can't abuse it (i.E the Holy Star glitch), I see zero issues. and it wouldn't give people a competitive edge.

It's not hard to learn to dash later, but it's a HUGE stumbling block for most new players.
    I'm sorry i get where you're coming from but if you dont wanna learn how to double tap a button you're not gonna have fun on this game at all

Bunny's Avatar woof.

Country
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by KingScuba View Post

While the intention is good, consider that the basic moves you mentioned are ones out of many that require the player to dash, which is an integral part of said moves. like climbing for example. if you spend too much time playing like this you would once again have to take a learning curve to get used to the dash suddenly being 2 keys and not 1 which is in my opinion a bad way to get used to the game (learning and then needing to relearn instead of learning harder but correctly the first time around)

Banned

Thanks
    Terrible dumb suggestion. New players can go through, what everyone's went through.

Thanks
    Originally Posted by Jonathan pls View Post
    I'm sorry i get where you're coming from but if you dont wanna learn how to double tap a button you're not gonna have fun on this game at all
    The intention isn't to stop them learning how to Dash. The intention is to get em into the action faster, and let them learn to dash later when they want to get better.

Having a training wheel mechanic like this would get them into the game properly within a week, as opposed to 1 ~ 2 months. Once you come to terms with the main mechanics, turn off auto dash and spend 1 or 2 weeks learning how to dash. Meaning you'll still be fluent in the game within 3 months, but the quality of your overall game experience will be higher.

Originally Posted by ImComming4U View Post
    Terrible dumb suggestion. New players can go through, what everyone's went through.
    Just because everyones done it doesn't mean its a good way to continue dude. As a species we'd still be in the stone age with that logic.

Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    While the intention is good, consider that the basic moves you mentioned are ones out of many that require the player to dash, which is an integral part of said moves. like climbing for example. if you spend too much time playing like this you would once again have to take a learning curve to get used to the dash suddenly being 2 keys and not 1 which is in my opinion a bad way to get used to the game (learning and then needing to relearn instead of learning harder but correctly the first time around)
    That'd be another bit of the "Learn how to move properly or don't get it" bits. Dashing is 90% of the game for better or worse, and like I said, the biggest bar to entry to this game.

Take it from the guy who did this method to learn this game, Dashing wasn't hard to learn, but I got way more enjoyment out of this game by being able to toggle my dash at the start, then later spending about a week to dash right.
    Last edited by KingScuba; 05-04-2021 at 06:08 PM.

Thread Information