Gwai's Avatar Win Silently

Country
    Thanks
    I've been seeing a flux of newer players in training. Maybe FGunZ can have basic instructors on discord that I can direct them towards if people like to teach. Maybe it'll help with the learning curve and get the community more involved.

Ommadawn's Avatar Bird + Trash = ?

Country
    Thanks
    I believe there are more than enough tutorial videos on YouTube which were created many years ago and they are still relevant, I know some of the new players watched them and they found them useful. Maybe we can make a special section for new players and make a small guide with the relevant tutorial videos or simply a section where they can ask things about the game gameplay itself.

3. The following 2 users say thank you to Ommadawn for this useful post:

Amers (07-10-2021), Frooples (07-10-2021)

Amers's Avatar Freestyler

Country
    Thanks
    I agree with Ommadawn - youtube has a shitload of tutorials - new and old, but there should be a channel for help still, since some things can be confusing.

A bit off topic, but: I've seen two types of new players, those who complain and don't listen to your instructions or suggestions and those who ask the right questions, listen to what you actually say and execute what you teach them. A newbie with the latter character trait playing for 5 days will be 10X better than a stubborn complainer whos played for a month - I've seen this in practice. Like I gave this one kid the perfect keybinds and I was willing to teach him how to actually be CRACKED AS F*CK in this game, he just replies "these binds are too different", "its too hard" blah blah. Like what do you wanna do kid? have a k/d of 0-100? die to absolutely everyone? Of course GunZ will not be fun for you, you're running around like a donkey, instead of listening to oldgens, you go on your own noobie path and just get rekt.

Imo these newbies will learn the wrong binds and months or even years in to their journey they will reach a point, where they'll understand the many, many hours of learning default binds was absolutely useless since default binds have a ceiling you will hit a ceiling, you are swimming against the current with defaults, you are shooting yourself in the foot with default binds.

Algorithm:
    1) Get good binds
    2) Learn dashing fundamentals
    3) Learn climbing fundamentals w sword
    4) Learn switching / climbing
    -- Done, on to RS,HS,DHS etc. All easy - extremely easy and simple with the right binds and the right knowledge of how dashing & canceling works.

I re-learned GunZ in about 2 weeks, because I completely changed my keybinds around- I couldn't switch climb, reloadshot, halfstep nothing, nada. So it is possible to learn this game, its not even hard, what is required is hard work and dedication!
    "Nobody cares, work harder"
    Love everyone, but trust no one

5. The following user said thank you to Amers for this useful post:

Amamin (07-10-2021)

Ommadawn's Avatar Bird + Trash = ?

Country
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by Amers View Post
    I agree with Ommadawn - youtube has a shitload of tutorials - new and old, but there should be a channel for help still, since some things can be confusing.

A bit off topic, but: I've seen two types of new players, those who complain and don't listen to your instructions or suggestions and those who ask the right questions, listen to what you actually say and execute what you teach them. A newbie with the latter character trait playing for 5 days will be 10X better than a stubborn complainer whos played for a month - I've seen this in practice. Like I gave this one kid the perfect keybinds and I was willing to teach him how to actually be CRACKED AS F*CK in this game, he just replies "these binds are too different", "its too hard" blah blah. Like what do you wanna do kid? have a k/d of 0-100? die to absolutely everyone? Of course GunZ will not be fun for you, you're running around like a donkey, instead of listening to oldgens, you go on your own noobie path and just get rekt.

Imo these newbies will learn the wrong binds and months or even years in to their journey they will reach a point, where they'll understand the many, many hours of learning default binds was absolutely useless since default binds have a ceiling you will hit a ceiling, you are swimming against the current with defaults, you are shooting yourself in the foot with default binds.

Algorithm:
    1) Get good binds
    2) Learn dashing fundamentals
    3) Learn climbing fundamentals w sword
    4) Learn switching / climbing
    -- Done, on to RS,HS,DHS etc. All easy - extremely easy and simple with the right binds and the right knowledge of how dashing & canceling works.

I re-learned GunZ in about 2 weeks, because I completely changed my keybinds around- I couldn't switch climb, reloadshot, halfstep nothing, nada. So it is possible to learn this game, its not even hard, what is required is hard work and dedication!
    I don't think you can consider specific keybinds as "good binds" because they might be good for YOU but they might be bad for someone else. I'm personally using default and I never had any troubles with any movements, I believe I can do most of them by using default too. Sure, many people might find it a bit annoying but which is understandable. Therefore, maybe we should make an option of "common binds" and make an option in settings which allows you to pick one of the keybinds. You can take it to another level and even force a player to choose a specific keybind as soon as he logins for the first time.

Side-note: you'd have to make a thread and ask the players to share their keybinds in order to choose some "common keybinds"
    Last edited by Ommadawn; 07-10-2021 at 07:47 AM.

Amamin's Avatar Babyboi

Country
    Thanks
    I think it'd be also helpful to have one place to send new players who come into rooms demanding help. Perhaps a welcome message every time a new character is created asking you if you're a new player, and if you click yes then it links you to a megathread with some basic helpful things to get you started.

Not just a compilation of basic tutorials but also something to let them manage their expectations. Kinda tired of being called "sweaty" by new players because I'm rssing vs them.

8. The following user said thank you to Amamin for this useful post:

zerojjxx (07-10-2021)

Amers's Avatar Freestyler

Country
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by Ommadawn View Post
    I don't think you can consider specific keybinds as "good binds" because they might be good for YOU but they might be bad for someone else. I'm personally using default and I never had any troubles with any movements, I believe I can do most of them by using default too. Sure, many people might find it a bit annoying but which is understandable. Therefore, maybe we should make an option of "common binds" and make an option in settings which allows you to pick one of the keybinds. You can take it to another level and even force a player to choose a specific keybind as soon as he logins for the first time.

Side-note: you'd have to make a thread and ask the players to share their keybinds in order to choose some "common keybinds"
    What are your binds exactly like?

I disagree on there not being specific good binds, there are definitely good binds and bad binds - optimal binds and suboptimal binds. We are (almost) all identical in one way, no matter the race or ethnicity, we have 5 fingers on one hand and 5 on the other, you can definitely optimize the use of these fingers to maximize your speed and key input to produce k-style the most effective way - by having good binds.

The only reason some think there are no "good binds" is because they have gotten use to suboptimal binds over playing on it for many, many years - or have gotten used to default binds that most fpshooter
    or tpshooter games use, that absolutely are not good for GunZ, since K-Style. Just because someone whos played with suboptimal binds for a decade is good, doesn't mean you should use those binds, they have spent a decade on them, you are just at the beginning.

Beginners should use and learn optimal binds and not shoot themselves in the foot by using suboptimal ones, ones that are 10X harder to learn and decrease performance in speed, key input and finger stamina.

Other than that, really good idea on forcing players to use specific binds on login / common binds config.
    Last edited by Amers; 07-10-2021 at 07:51 PM.
    "Nobody cares, work harder"
    Love everyone, but trust no one

Gwai's Avatar Win Silently

Country
    Thanks
    Yea, I believe that we're all on the same page. I definitely agree that there's a plethora of videos on YouTube that will teach new players. The reason I started this thread is what happens after the videos? A lot of the times, the players that are asking questions and asking for someone to teach them have already seen the videos. But they might have additional questions and are following the video to a T, but for some reason, they still cant get a move down. That might be where a Basics Instructor or Guide can come in handy for supplementary reasons. Not all problems are created equal so they need to be met with custom solutions.

The other day, me and Bonnie met a player named Dasai who saw a video and said he finally mustered up the confidence to download the game even though it seems really hard. We were teaching him BF and he got the correct keys down but it still seemed wonky for some reason. We then realized shortly after that it came down to his rhythm and timing. The time in between an attack block is less than the time spent jumping and dashing and is even more prevalent in DBF and TBF. That's when I realized that that's something often left out in a lot of the GunZ tutorials.

At the end of our little session of showing him moves, quests and itemizations, (which I give commends to for whoever came up with the PVE+ items cause it added to Dasai's excitement of the game) I gifted him a cosmetic set as a welcome gift. We were then met with something along the lines of "Thank you guys for teaching me you guys just made another future GunZ player."

I mention this not to toot my own horn but because it really had me thinking in the perspective of someone who get the opposite treatment. If someone like Dasai had to muster up the confidence to download the game because of the skill gap that he ONLY SAW THROUGH VIDEOS, I wonder how many others feel the same way. I believe that Dasai was given a good first impression of the game but for every Dasai out there, there are also many others that are met with silence after asking for help (which i am guilty for myself cause Dasai caught me on a good day). Not only that but through personal experience, people who ask for help or is actually trying to learn new moves are often met with bukkake from the rest of the room constantly getting attacked and bombed in a GOD tag room. If I was in that position i'd be annoyed and discouraged.

Regarding optimal binds I agree with both of you. There may be binds that require the least amount of movement for maximum effectiveness but some people also have been playing different grips, wrist or arm aimers, fingers don't twist a certain way, you name it for a long time. So good binds can be labeled good binds through technicality but good binds are also relative to each individual player. An example would be I reload on MB4 but some people reload on Middle Scroll Button. Technically middle scroll button can be the most optimal but i personally know that middle scroll button is not optimal for me, because ive played with middle finger on right click my whole life. If i were to move my middle finger to scroll, it would mess up my whole grip resulting in worse gameplay. Ben hit the spot when he said "they might be good for YOU but they might be bad for someone else."

But yea I believe having a basics instructor or guide teach a little of the basics and give a little orientation can really be nice for newer players.

11. The following user said thank you to Gwai for this useful post:

Amamin (07-11-2021)

Thread Information