Amers's Avatar Freestyler

Country
    Thanks
    Was wondering what keyboard everybody uses in 2021?

I use a Razer Cynosa Lite, It's a pretty decent keyboard, but after a while of playing the keys start bugging out and get slumpy.

Also, has anyone tried mechanical keyboards for gunz? I tried a really cheap one and it was really trash, couldn't even pull of k-style moves since the input is too quick. What's your experience with mechanical? What would be better mechanical, mech-dome or membrane?
    "Nobody cares, work harder"
    Love everyone, but trust no one

Thanks
    I have been playing gunz for many many years with membrane keyboards (office type ) and I thought it was my skill that matters regardless of the equipment that I am using for example keyboard and mouse, and after changing keyboard and mouse(from office mouse to full blown gaming mouse - razer viper mini (highly recommend to those looking for claw type due to its really small size and super light weight, and really clicky click) oh god it changes the way I play gunz actually perform better than before, more efficient and less energy needed to perform the same move. Just recently I switched from office type membrane keyboard to full mechanical keyboard (brand: tecware, model: PHANTOM 2020 RGB MECHANICAL KEYBOARD (RED SWITCH Outemu), it has blue switch(clicky type so it will be the loudest when using), brown switch(tactile type, in between clicky and linear), red switch(linear type so it will be quietest among the 3 switches when using). I chose the red switch because I dont want noise when using keyboard and smooth click instead of clicky type. I picked this keyboard because it is one of the affordable ones out there with full RGB individual LED lit keys and you can swap out the switch to other type in my case from red switch to either blue or brown. However, since it is a rather low cost mechanical keyboard because it uses Outemu type switch(low cost) you cant swap to other type of switches, only Outemu. After few months of using it, the switch tends to bug out and cannot register the click, I had to swap it out with the extra 4 switches that came with the package, the extra 4 switches are given to you incase you have faulty switch on the default keyboard. Lesson learnt, low cost switches for mechanical keyboard don't last that long but is a good starter kit for those who is interested to get into mechanical keys. Lucky enough I tried my friend's mechanical keyboard from Ducky that uses high grade switches (Cherry MX, red too), it is much smoother than my Outemu switch, really high quality switch, never bug out or things like cannot register click, but you cannot swap out the switches because it is soldered into the board.

I don't think I will ever go back to membrane keyboard for playing Gunz. But for general use, mechanical could be hit-or-miss for certain user, but it is definitely not a bad choice either and there are many different types of high grade keyboard out there.

My suggestion is that if possible you should try out the keyboard at the store or from friends and see if it suits your style. If you wish to use for long term, you will be much happier with spending a little extra for a good keyboard.

3. The following user said thank you to whateveruwant for this useful post:

Amers (08-21-2021)

Country
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by whateveruwant View Post
    I have been playing gunz for many many years with membrane keyboards (office type ) and I thought it was my skill that matters regardless of the equipment that I am using for example keyboard and mouse, and after changing keyboard and mouse(from office mouse to full blown gaming mouse - razer viper mini (highly recommend to those looking for claw type due to its really small size and super light weight, and really clicky click) oh god it changes the way I play gunz actually perform better than before, more efficient and less energy needed to perform the same move. Just recently I switched from office type membrane keyboard to full mechanical keyboard (brand: tecware, model: PHANTOM 2020 RGB MECHANICAL KEYBOARD (RED SWITCH Outemu), it has blue switch(clicky type so it will be the loudest when using), brown switch(tactile type, in between clicky and linear), red switch(linear type so it will be quietest among the 3 switches when using). I chose the red switch because I dont want noise when using keyboard and smooth click instead of clicky type. I picked this keyboard because it is one of the affordable ones out there with full RGB individual LED lit keys and you can swap out the switch to other type in my case from red switch to either blue or brown. However, since it is a rather low cost mechanical keyboard because it uses Outemu type switch(low cost) you cant swap to other type of switches, only Outemu. After few months of using it, the switch tends to bug out and cannot register the click, I had to swap it out with the extra 4 switches that came with the package, the extra 4 switches are given to you incase you have faulty switch on the default keyboard. Lesson learnt, low cost switches for mechanical keyboard don't last that long but is a good starter kit for those who is interested to get into mechanical keys. Lucky enough I tried my friend's mechanical keyboard from Ducky that uses high grade switches (Cherry MX, red too), it is much smoother than my Outemu switch, really high quality switch, never bug out or things like cannot register click, but you cannot swap out the switches because it is soldered into the board.

I don't think I will ever go back to membrane keyboard for playing Gunz. But for general use, mechanical could be hit-or-miss for certain user, but it is definitely not a bad choice either and there are many different types of high grade keyboard out there.

My suggestion is that if possible you should try out the keyboard at the store or from friends and see if it suits your style. If you wish to use for long term, you will be much happier with spending a little extra for a good keyboard.
    Yep, had a cheap mechanical keyboard too, I actually tested it today and I could effortlessly jtap and db, which I cannot pull off on my membrane keyboard, but its broken atm, because the same thing happened to me, S and W key started bugging out and not registering presses, at first it worked decently, but K-Style was way different to pull off, but to think about it, that's understandable because the key input ms is different.

Today I bought a mechdome keyboard from Logitech, G213 model, and for its price category, I'd say its the best mid-range keyboard for gunz. It doesnt fully feel like a sluggish membrane, but also doesn't feel like a mechanical one, very clean to play with.

And 100% gunz skill level has a lot to do with equipment. Monitor hz, mouse input delay, keyboard input delay, computer specs. The most op you can go is buy a 240hz monitor and lock your fps to 240, people will start to complain about dying behind walls

Amamin's Avatar Babyboi

Country
    Thanks
    I have the cheapest Cherry Brown switch keyboard I could find, the Cougar Attack x3 Cherry MX Brown. I honestly have never tried any supposedly "good" mechanical keyboard so I have no point of reference, but this keyboard is decent enough for me to say that my lack of skill is the reason I lose, not my keyboard lmao.

That said, I think that laptop keyboards are also pretty good for GunZ. They're really low profile, making it easy to double tap your WASD keys. I learned the game on a laptop so when I got a PC I tried to look for alternatives. In my search I ended up buying 4 "low profile" membrane keyboards but they all have their own issues (either has something to do with rollover, or keys being too stiff, or keys being too high, or some sort of combination). I couldn't find an actual scissor switch membrane keyboard that felt like laptop keyboard, so I finally decided to give mechanical keyboards a try.

I'd still recommend mech keyboards (any switch that doesn't require heavy force to press) over anything else because I think they're better for the health of your fingers/hands. They usually don't require you to bottom your keys when pressing, so you can stop halfway after reaching the actuation point and lift your finger. That way you don't get the vibrating effect you get when you repeatedly tap something hard. Playing GunZ on a laptop keyboards feels like repeatedly and forcefully tapping a glass table and it gets unpleasant after a while. Membrane keyboards are relatively stiffer and require much more force.

IMO the best GunZ keyboard would at least be a mech keyboard whose keys have short actuation, has polling rate of 1000 hz, and has Full NKRO. With those bare minimum specs I think you'll be mostly unrestrained by your keyboard peripherals.

6. The following user said thank you to Amamin for this useful post:

Amers (08-21-2021)

Country
    Thanks
    I will definitely try a good full mechanical keyboard in the future, but for now this mech-dome logitech feels really good to play with, i recommend it fully ("G213 Logitech keyboard" if anyone wants to buy it, cheap and does the job well.)

8. The following user said thank you to Amers for this useful post:

Amamin (08-22-2021)

Freestyler

Country
    Thanks
    Steelseries Apex pro tkl.
    expensive keyboard but very good

10. The following user said thank you to Eran for this useful post:

Amers (08-21-2021)

Country
    Thanks
    you right steelseries are very good and expensive but worth it
    https://wooting.store/?_ga=2.5989680...510.1629491886
    check that link also expensive but crazy performance

Country
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by Eran View Post
    Steelseries Apex pro tkl.
    expensive keyboard but very good
    Yup, saw that in the electronics store today, but 150€ is not a sum I'm willing to put on a keyboard xD But to think of it, I've put like 150€ on 3 different keyboards in the span of 3 years anyways, so why not make a 1 time investment and get like 3 years of good keyboard in return instead of buying trashy keyboards every year.

13. The following 2 users say thank you to Amers for this useful post:

Amamin (08-22-2021), Eran (08-22-2021)

Thread Information