Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Banned

Thanks
    There is a massive problem with changing tick rate in GunZ when it comes to interactions between players with anything aside from a gun shot. The movements from static gameplay(not interacting with others) will always feel smoother with the tick rate change, but in reality it has broken most aspects of interactions. Let me tell you what will happen. This is based off what I've seen happen on other servers throughout the entire time I've been playing since way back on iGunZ, and pservs since I do believe LG.

At the beginning, you will have a surge of players checking out the update. For a limited time, they will think its the best thing. Only downhill from there. First, gladiators will leave. Not a big deal. Its a small community. They are most sensitive to player to player interactions being broken, because they don't use guns. They will immediately leave. Next, follows the better of the gunner players. They are also fairly sensitive to these kind of changes, but being primarily guns usage, it will take longer to notice and feel that difference, but inevitably, they will. Some players will follow them wanting to play with the stronger players, usually a significant amount of people but its not the end of the world. But that is even more players gone. At this point it will be about 40 players down. It will be noticeable, but not a big deal... right? Maybe. The players who left will likely be the ones who played the game at some sort of competitive level. What you have left are some casual players. Most likely not new players, as most new players seem to quit the game in 2 days or less. Those players will see the population waning, and they will see players they knew gone. Eventually, they'll just get bored and also quit, or try to find another server to play on with more interesting things or people. That will probably go on over a long period of time, like a year, while the other things happened much faster. It will continue until you have a small dedicated player base of around 20-30 players. If your server survives long enough, they will likely be around for a few years. DG was a great example of that! Also a great example of changing the game at its core and the effects it had on the community they had built up. But its not just DG. Every server that has tried with a population, has died, in almost this exact same way. Do you think you will be any different?

If you don't reverse the changes or add a toggle at the very least, this is going to be the reality. You can tell me I'm wrong or that I'm full of shit, and that the changes are the greatest thing for the game and that changes need to happen to bring in new players blah blah. New players don't stick around. The only way to get new players and reinvigorate the game, is to get a very large number of them, all at once, so they have other new players to play with instead of getting bullied by the vets. This is the ONLY way you will reinvigorate the game, and it just isn't going to happen without an official release. Making changes to the core of how the game feels and plays is not the way. The players currently playing, whether they know it or not, are here to play the game they have always played. With your update, this isn't GunZ any more. Its some other game that no one cares about, and eventually, time is going to prove that. If you are too late to at least add a toggle, the server will already be toast. Maybe even if you add one.

2. The following 2 users say thank you to zalibidas for this useful post:

Absolutely (06-14-2022), moderman (06-13-2022)

McSic's Avatar L e a d e r

Thanks
    Originally Posted by zalibidas View Post
    There is a massive problem with changing tick rate in GunZ when it comes to interactions between players with anything aside from a gun shot. The movements from static gameplay(not interacting with others) will always feel smoother with the tick rate change, but in reality it has broken most aspects of interactions. Let me tell you what will happen. This is based off what I've seen happen on other servers throughout the entire time I've been playing since way back on iGunZ, and pservs since I do believe LG.

At the beginning, you will have a surge of players checking out the update. For a limited time, they will think its the best thing. Only downhill from there. First, gladiators will leave. Not a big deal. Its a small community. They are most sensitive to player to player interactions being broken, because they don't use guns. They will immediately leave. Next, follows the better of the gunner players. They are also fairly sensitive to these kind of changes, but being primarily guns usage, it will take longer to notice and feel that difference, but inevitably, they will. Some players will follow them wanting to play with the stronger players, usually a significant amount of people but its not the end of the world. But that is even more players gone. At this point it will be about 40 players down. It will be noticeable, but not a big deal... right? Maybe. The players who left will likely be the ones who played the game at some sort of competitive level. What you have left are some casual players. Most likely not new players, as most new players seem to quit the game in 2 days or less. Those players will see the population waning, and they will see players they knew gone. Eventually, they'll just get bored and also quit, or try to find another server to play on with more interesting things or people. That will probably go on over a long period of time, like a year, while the other things happened much faster. It will continue until you have a small dedicated player base of around 20-30 players. If your server survives long enough, they will likely be around for a few years. DG was a great example of that! Also a great example of changing the game at its core and the effects it had on the community they had built up. But its not just DG. Every server that has tried with a population, has died, in almost this exact same way. Do you think you will be any different?

If you don't reverse the changes or add a toggle at the very least, this is going to be the reality. You can tell me I'm wrong or that I'm full of shit, and that the changes are the greatest thing for the game and that changes need to happen to bring in new players blah blah. New players don't stick around. The only way to get new players and reinvigorate the game, is to get a very large number of them, all at once, so they have other new players to play with instead of getting bullied by the vets. This is the ONLY way you will reinvigorate the game, and it just isn't going to happen without an official release. Making changes to the core of how the game feels and plays is not the way. The players currently playing, whether they know it or not, are here to play the game they have always played. With your update, this isn't GunZ any more. Its some other game that no one cares about, and eventually, time is going to prove that. If you are too late to at least add a toggle, the server will already be toast. Maybe even if you add one.
    Tick rate changes don't break the game, they improve the game if done correctly, and I think we've done that correctly and probably 90% of the community agrees with this patch. Not sure if you played the game, or only noticed glad recoil being broken and decided to make this post. But let me inform you that glad recoil being broken is a very specific bug, unrelated to the tick rate changes, and we've already fixed it for the upcoming patch. So that is nothing to worry about.

Regarding servers dying with higher tick rates: Uh oh. We've been here since 2007. We've seen 20+ private GunZ servers (probably more like 30+) come and go. With and without tick rate changes, they've done all kinds of things, some stayed completely vanilla, it doesn't matter, they died. Most servers have died while we're here. Tick rate is not a problem and I disagree with your bold assumption that we're going to die due to tick rate changes. All servers died at some point, except for us, and we've even had a higher tick rate a few years ago. We've been here for 15 years and we're not planning to leave anytime soon. Thanks for your concerns.

4. The following 7 users say thank you to McSic for this useful post:

Beast (06-13-2022), Faky (06-13-2022), Jordan (06-13-2022), Ommadawn (06-13-2022), Prone (06-14-2022), SunRui (06-13-2022), TomasEdison (06-13-2022)

Freestyler

Country
    Thanks

yeah competitive players will leave because players look like they are actually dashing instead of teleporting, makes a lot of sense.

Banned

Thanks
    I actually prefer this movement, feels way smoother

Country
    Thanks

Thank you for your concerns!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information