Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Country
    Thanks
    Suggestion type: FG00nZzZ

Suggestion description: adjustments for chat box

Is there any way to prevent the chat box from "dropping down" when you're trying to scroll up through the chat? Trying to read what you missed and every time a new line of chat appears it pulls back down to the most recent line of text.

Edit:

Maybe remove the line of text when players leave/join the room? This could help reduce chat clutter. Who really actually pays attention to people leaving/joining rooms? Other than to see if they are death avoiding.

I know turning on the new kill feed also helps with reducing chat box traffic, but I personally see the new kill feed as distasteful.

What about adding a "chat history" button, similar to that in League of Legends. Pressing [insert key] bring up a larger/extended chat box that reveals 20+ lines of text rather than having to scroll up/down to see a line of chat that you missed. This chat history (at least in League) is also scrollable, but it shows more lines of text than the normal chat box to help reduce the need to scroll to read.
    Last edited by Desecration; 01-10-2023 at 12:45 AM.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

TonySoprano's Avatar GM

Country
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by Desecration View Post

Is there any way to prevent the chat box from "dropping down" when you're trying to scroll up through the chat? Trying to read what you missed and every time a new line of chat appears it pulls back down to the most recent line of text.

Edit:

Maybe remove the line of text when players leave/join the room? This could help reduce chat clutter. Who really actually pays attention to people leaving/joining rooms? Other than to see if they are death avoiding.

I know turning on the new kill feed also helps with reducing chat box traffic, but I personally see the new kill feed as distasteful.

What about adding a "chat history" button, similar to that in League of Legends. Pressing [insert key] bring up a larger/extended chat box that reveals 20+ lines of text rather than having to scroll up/down to see a line of chat that you missed. This chat history (at least in League) is also scrollable, but it shows more lines of text than the normal chat box to help reduce the need to scroll to read.
    I wouldn't mind seeing this change, sometimes when I am trying to take Screen Shots for evidence it is quite irritating when the chat keeps going to the bottom.

As far as removing lines of text I don't think that is necessary. I like the new kill feed it separates the kills from chat box.

I also would not mind seeing a Chat history button if it's not a hassle to add.

Country
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by TonySoprano View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing this change, sometimes when I am trying to take Screen Shots for evidence it is quite irritating when the chat keeps going to the bottom.

As far as removing lines of text I don't think that is necessary. I like the new kill feed it separates the kills from chat box.

I also would not mind seeing a Chat history button if it's not a hassle to add.
    I really just added that removing lines of text suggestion in case my original suggestion fell through.

I LIKE the new kill feed....but I don't like that it "comes and goes". Sometimes I like to see who kills who, but you can't do that with the new kill feed.

Yes, having it go back to the bottom is very irritating lol especially when I'm trying to see what someone whispered to me.

McSic's Avatar L e a d e r

Thanks

Probably doable, I'll look into this.

Your edit seems like a separate suggestion.

Country
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by McSic View Post
    Probably doable, I'll look into this.

Your edit seems like a separate suggestion.
    Ignore the removing lines of text suggestion. I'd prefer the chat history button instead though. It'd be a lot smoother than having to scroll up on the tiny box we have already. Something that enlarges the box to go from ~5 lines of text to ~20 lines that disappears after you depress the key.

But if it's easier to just make it stop taking you back to the bottom, I'd be fine with it I guess.

Thanks
    Ignore the removing lines of text suggestion. I'd prefer the chat history button instead though. It'd be a lot smoother than having to scroll up on the tiny box we have already. Something that enlarges the box to go from ~5 lines of text to ~20 lines that disappears after you depress the key.

But if it's easier to just make it stop taking you back to the bottom, I'd be fine with it I guess.
    What do you suggest the button should be per default?

Country
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by McSic View Post
    What do you suggest the button should be per default?
    Maybe Z or Alt. Those are the first that come to mind.

Bunny's Avatar woof.

Country
    Thanks
    I know it was put off because scrollable chat was implemented and that was enough; but a long time ago when I made the suggestion to add functionality to the chat box when it only had 5 or 6 lines that once gone, were gone, the suggestion was made of multiple parts.

one of which (which is not mentioned here) is to add chat tabs that one can click. If someone is going through the chat, and have their mouse on screen to control the chat box, why not add a separate tab (kind of like maplestory if anyone played it).
    In this context, such a chat could have tabs like:
    "All" (for all messages)
    "General" (for only general chat)
    "Whispers" (just for whispers)
    "Chats" (for /chatmake conversations)
    "Killfeed" (for deaths/kills)
    "System feed" (like joining/leaving, kicks performed, [Notices], suicides, basically the green stuff. Kicks performed would still appear at the bottom center but also in chat to prove kick abuse).

It seems like this is THE MOST end-game goal for enabling maximum functionality of the chatbox.

Thanks
    Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    I know it was put off because scrollable chat was implemented and that was enough; but a long time ago when I made the suggestion to add functionality to the chat box when it only had 5 or 6 lines that once gone, were gone, the suggestion was made of multiple parts.

one of which (which is not mentioned here) is to add chat tabs that one can click. If someone is going through the chat, and have their mouse on screen to control the chat box, why not add a separate tab (kind of like maplestory if anyone played it).
    "All" (for all messages)
    "System feed" (like joining/leaving, kicks performed, [Notices], suicides, basically the green stuff. Kicks performed would still appear at the bottom center but also in chat to prove kick abuse).

It seems like this is THE MOST end-game goal for enabling maximum functionality of the chatbox.
    That was the original plan, but I was too lazy, or happy enough with what we have now, to finish that rest of the functionality. I'll consider doing it.

10. The following user said thank you to McSic for this useful post:

Bunny (01-10-2023)

Country
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by Bunny View Post

"All" (for all messages)

Hmm something I suggested too similarly this would be great benefits player/staff everyone would be a great feature

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information