Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    HellSniper's Avatar Mad Scientist

Country
    Thanks
    Out of curiosity, are people interested in remakes/remasters of old custom maps?
    Despite most custom maps seeing little (to in some cases no) play/usage i was wondering if a little visual and behind the scenes touch-ups to those old and forgotten maps would be appreciated and even wanted in the first place or if everyone rather keep them as is for memories sake.

What i personally would do is keeping the maps in tact (as in layout and design), porting them from radiant/gzmap to 3ds max which would allow for fixing and better collision in general, improved lighting and some more polygons in various places so that things arent entirely blocky, some texture improvements where warranted.
    In an upcoming update fgunz will also introduce some new features/mechanics which could be implemented in these older maps.

The reason why i bring this up is because a while ago i was looking back and through the old maps that were popular back in the day getting nostalgic and seeing the potential in them and wanting to give them some polish around some clunky places.
    I have done remakes/remasters in the past before which are present in fgunz for asylum, darker, vice and technically speaking scoutzknives (it wasnt my map originally but i took it over) and most recently the x minecraft map, for sake of reference for what to possibly expect for a remake or touch-up.

If the community wants this the question would be which maps people want to have "updated" and or improved upon the most and how faithful it should be.
    This isnt a promise necessarily but more of a gauge of interest though i probably would at least do 1 request depending on the feedback.

2. The following 18 users say thank you to HellSniper for this useful post:

Amamin (07-05-2023), Bunny (07-04-2023), Cid (07-05-2023), Dave (07-04-2023), Frooples (07-05-2023), ijramist (07-25-2023), Jordan (07-04-2023), jorge94 (07-08-2023), justRelax (07-04-2023), McSic (07-05-2023), Menotso (07-05-2023), Ommadawn (07-04-2023), RlCK (07-06-2023), Skilly (07-04-2023), StephanM (07-04-2023), SunRui (07-04-2023), TomasEdison (07-10-2023), Tzunami best0 (07-09-2023)

justRelax's Avatar The name says it all.

Country
    Thanks
    I believe you also did Canal Town. Anyhow would be interesting to also see remakes of Attack-Defense (recently re-added and could use better light placement), and perhaps for old removed maps i.e. TheBuilding from a suggestion thread. Though not going to lie Nexus-Base could use some assets to the map that aren't in a room.

Spoiler!

Country
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by justRelax View Post
    I believe you also did Canal Town. Anyhow would be interesting to also see remakes of Attack-Defense (recently re-added and could use better light placement), and perhaps for old removed maps i.e. TheBuilding from a suggestion thread. Though not going to lie Nexus-Base could use some assets to the map that aren't in a room.
    Canal Town is my map, i didnt list it cause its not a remake, ironically the building is also my map though one of my earlier maps and i recently did a collision fix for the office and fixed the desk lamp's light but i actually dont know if either fixes were implemented.

Bunny's Avatar woof.

Country
    Thanks
    Actually one of the things that bother me most about maps is the fact that I cant enjoy how good some of them look with lightmap on simply because it can be a dark pit of nothingness on skme of them with it on, forcing me to take it off if I want to compete with other players. 3 examples that immediately pop to my mind are Attack and defense, Darker, and Arena.

6. The following 2 users say thank you to Bunny for this useful post:

Amamin (07-05-2023), SunRui (07-04-2023)

justRelax's Avatar The name says it all.

Country
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by HellSniper View Post
    Canal Town is my map, i didnt list it cause its not a remake, ironically the building is also my map though one of my earlier maps and i recently did a collision fix for the office and fixed the desk lamp's light but i actually dont know if either fixes were implemented.
    Well I checked but I don't see the Desk Lamp's light in TheOffice, but the PC on the desk could also emit some light (low luminosity and perhaps update to a latest image on fgunz.net website since it still has old activity point rewards [no AP shield])

Spoiler!

SunRui's Avatar sun rui

Country
    Thanks
    ur work will always be appreciated

一直躲在月光背面
    想让动作更熟练

Country
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Actually one of the things that bother me most about maps is the fact that I cant enjoy how good some of them look with lightmap on simply because it can be a dark pit of nothingness on skme of them with it on, forcing me to take it off if I want to compete with other players. 3 examples that immediately pop to my mind are Attack and defense, Darker, and Arena.
    Darker kinda thematically "needs" to be well .. dark but i could increase the strength of the fake global illumination to soften the black areas.
    Arena i dont quite get since i made it honestly relatively bright? just like with darker i could bump the global illumination anyways i suppose.
    Attack-Defense is one example of gzmap/fsrad (fsrad being the program generating the lightmap) black areas jank that could be fixed.

A thing to keep in mind is that monitor brightness, contrast and gamma (as well as color accuracy) can affect how dark something appears so while it may seem too dark to one person it might not appear too dark to others due to monitor and settings difference.
    Last edited by HellSniper; 07-04-2023 at 08:20 PM.

10. The following user said thank you to HellSniper for this useful post:

Bunny (07-04-2023)

StephanM's Avatar 🌹

Country
    Thanks
    Sounds like this is mainly on your end en settings (minus Attack and Defense).

- - - Updated - - -

So far I know this has not been added into the game.

Bunny's Avatar woof.

Country
    Thanks
    Darker kinda thematically "needs" to be well .. dark but i could increase the strength of the fake global illumination to soften the black areas.
    Arena i dont quite get since i made it honestly relatively bright? just like with darker i could bump the global illumination anyways i suppose.
    Attack-Defense is one example of gzmap/fsrad (fsrad being the program generating the lightmap) black areas jank that could be fixed.

A thing to keep in mind is that monitor brightness, contrast and gamma (as well as color accuracy) can affect how dark something appears so while it may seem too dark to one person it might not appear too dark to others due to monitor and settings difference.
    This was mostly my meaning with Arena. Hanging inside the map lol

Darker:

I mean what good is that little lamp over in the corner?

There are a few other maps that I can check a bit later on, but to answer your original post for maps to not just change the lightmap of but to possibly do other things, I can think of some of the older maps like Castle, which is super blocky (but not in the castle bricks way, but the fact that its actually made out of boxes), and if you want the most amount of people to appreciate your work rather than working on maps people aren't currently playing whatsoever, you can definitely go with maps like town and battle arena.

Originally Posted by StephanM View Post
    Sounds like this is mainly on your end en settings (minus Attack and Defense).
    Sure, but how far do i gotta crank up my brightness and play with other settings that decrease screen life expectancy (and eye health like blue light) when I play at night, and go into a stairway room with the lightmap enabled only to be blinded?

It's not necessarily the fact that there is no lighting in some maps. Its more so of the contrast between bright and darker maps. If I gotta squint my eyes lest they burn in bright maps and do the opposite squint to figure out whats happening in the darker maps, then might aswell have that option off
    Last edited by Bunny; 07-04-2023 at 08:43 PM.

Country
    Thanks
    This was mostly my meaning with Arena. Hanging inside the map lol
    My man, you are hanging around the height ceiling i put on the map, thats "not" the intended playable area, if thats your issue i can move the fade further up i guess.
    Dont think this really counts for trying to appreciate the map when hanging somewhere below a ceiling though lol.

Darker:

I mean what good is that little lamp over in the corner?
    That is in fact too dark, i dont remember it being this dark, i should adjust that.
    Also the ingame brightness slider is seemingly broken?, it does literally nothing when i change it lol

There are a few other maps that I can check a bit later on, but to answer your original post for maps to not just change the lightmap of but to possibly do other things, I can think of some of the older maps like Castle, which is super blocky (but not in the castle bricks way, but the fact that its actually made out of boxes), and if you want the most amount of people to appreciate your work rather than working on maps people aren't currently playing whatsoever, you can definitely go with maps like town and battle arena.
    I feel actually messing with the original maiet maps would be too much and probably disliked by many people.
    Cant desecrate these ancient holy artifacts or something like that.

Using attack-defense as an example here is what a lightmap touch-up could look like (this is very quick and dirty) using the original light information.
    You can see the lighting being a little smoother as well as places without lights not being pitch black.

14. The following 3 users say thank you to HellSniper for this useful post:

Amamin (07-05-2023), Bunny (07-05-2023), Menotso (07-05-2023)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information