GeorgeGFX's Avatar secret.club

Country
    Thanks
    Suggestion type:
    Forum/FGunZ/Other

Suggestion description:
    Please forbid the use of AI generated artworks on threads that include graphic design competition with any sort of reward, whether it's real money, coins, in-game cosmetics & so on, I don't think I have to go in-depth why this is fair to do so, thanks.

>>> Credits to Sikk408 @ DevaintArt <<<

2. The following 3 users say thank you to GeorgeGFX for this useful post:

Bio (01-14-2024), Menotso (01-14-2024), StephanM (01-14-2024)

Bio's Avatar Miscellaneous

Country
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by GeorgeGFX View Post
    Suggestion type:
    Forum/FGunZ/Other

Suggestion description:
    Please forbid the use of AI-generated artworks on threads that include graphic design competition with any sort of reward, whether it's real money, coins, in-game cosmetics & so on, I don't think I have to go in-depth as to why this is fair to do so, thanks.
    This is exactly what I was thinking about 1 hour ago and thought to post it, even though I know why you suggested it in the first place.
    For further on, I agree with this one, Although people do not tend to post here anymore, maybe just a tiny pool of people.

Amamin's Avatar Babyboi

Country
    Thanks
    I realize this is towards the arctic fox I used to make the emblem for Armani's clan.

I honestly did not see the issue since I assumed you guys don't draw the renders and other assets you use for your designs either.

Country
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by Amamin View Post
    I realize this is towards the arctic fox I used to make the emblem for Armani's clan.

I honestly did not see the issue since I assumed you guys don't draw the renders and other assets you use for your designs either.
    Yeah, that's the main reason because it's not your own work which can be copyrighted at all, technically you or any individual spends approximately 2 minutes to create a prompt and then expect to win a competition, if it worked like that, every GFX person would be a millionaire..

I don't know about the others but I personally create my own assets or paid for them on forums related to graphic design, those were back in 2008 until now and can prove out my legitimacy as I was called many times for using AI which I despise, however, the only thing I use is the render which is cut out by someone else and even if neither of us owns any rights on said render, we are not trying to sell it or profit with it in any possible way which is why AI artwork and the artwork I do isn't the same.

6. The following 2 users say thank you to GeorgeGFX for this useful post:

Amamin (01-14-2024), Menotso (01-14-2024)

Menotso's Avatar Life Time Member

Thanks
    It is artwork but i don't agree on using it in competitions.
    This covers my opinion and explains sufficiently why: https://www.copyright.gov/docs/zarya-of-the-dawn.pdf

tldr: a comic that was denied registration of image authorship to the creator: Ms. Kashtanova for using the "MidJourney" AI technology and determining that none of the images would be the intellectual property of the author, by the United States Copyright office.

also there's a huge gap of time spent between making a prompt (and maybe editing the result) and describing what you have done in a proper software.

8. The following user said thank you to Menotso for this useful post:

GeorgeGFX (01-14-2024)

Amamin's Avatar Babyboi

Country
    Thanks
    I admit I didn't really think much of it because I assumed people just google "<insert subject here> cutout" and make signatures and avatars out of someone else's artwork, so using a piece of AI artwork as my render didn't really register to me as anything different.

But other than the the fox itself, I did try to put in some work so that it's not completely AI. This was what I got from the AI, this was the end result. I cutout the fox face (which took hours since I don't know how to properly do it), used this for the glow effect, picked out an "aurora borealis texture" google image result that I can't find anymore for the background, and some other random "ice texture" results for the text and border clipping masks. I also traced and modified a random "line text border" result for the text border.

I'm not trying to justify what I did because I do agree that trying to profit off of someone else's work is and should always be a no no. Thinking back, I realize I shouldn't have used any of those images and I shouldn't have traced anything since there was an expectation of winning coins if Armani liked what I did.

I was ignorant to the moral dilemmas of using AI art since I don't really deal with art on a regular basis. I agree with the suggestion, a clear stance on it would educate everyone and I'm sure it would prevent similar problems in the future.

As an extension to the suggestion, maybe disallow using assets people haven't made themselves for artwork that are commissioned for any kind of compensation (whether real world money or fgunz coins) as well? Unless of course they have the license, or the art is in the public domain, or they were given permission by whoever made the artwork originally.

Country
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by Amamin View Post
    I admit I didn't really think much of it because I assumed people just google "<insert subject here> cutout" and make signatures and avatars out of someone else's artwork, so using a piece of AI artwork as my render didn't really register to me as anything different.

But other than the the fox itself, I did try to put in some work so that it's not completely AI. This was what I got from the AI, this was the end result. I cutout the fox face (which took hours since I don't know how to properly do it), used this for the glow effect, picked out an "aurora borealis texture" google image result that I can't find anymore for the background, and some other random "ice texture" results for the text and border clipping masks. I also traced and modified a random "line text border" result for the text border.

I'm not trying to justify what I did because I do agree that trying to profit off of someone else's work is and should always be a no no. Thinking back, I realize I shouldn't have used any of those images and I shouldn't have traced anything since there was an expectation of winning coins if Armani liked what I did.

I was ignorant to the moral dilemmas of using AI art since I don't really deal with art on a regular basis. I agree with the suggestion, a clear stance on it would educate everyone and I'm sure it would prevent similar problems in the future.

As an extension to the suggestion, maybe disallow using assets people haven't made themselves for artwork that are commissioned for any kind of compensation (whether real world money or fgunz coins) as well? Unless of course they have the license, or the art is in the public domain, or they were given permission by whoever made the artwork originally.
    While I agree with some of the things you stated to an extend, I personally and people can verify that I never wanted payment on any signature/tag/header or whatever, I only just started to get "payments" for my work only because AI exists and people could just use a prompt and create something but not able to modify it, if those people are willing to pay for AI work -> I couldn't care less but considering there are other people who do stuff manually, IMO AI work should be banned on submissions of any sort.
    Also, I don't see how your last suggestion would work as everyone posts signatures and artworks with resources they didn't create themselves, even FGunZ uses such resources but as you can see and many other games (pserver one), there are no licenses or taxes being paid for that, after all, it's the internet and everyone does whatever he wants, what we could do though is control it at least here.

Amamin's Avatar Babyboi

Country
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by GeorgeGFX View Post
    While I agree with some of the things you stated to an extend, I personally and people can verify that I never wanted payment on any signature/tag/header or whatever, I only just started to get "payments" for my work only because AI exists and people could just use a prompt and create something but not able to modify it, if those people are willing to pay for AI work -> I couldn't care less but considering there are other people who do stuff manually, IMO AI work should be banned on submissions of any sort.
    Also, I don't see how your last suggestion would work as everyone posts signatures and artworks with resources they didn't create themselves, even FGunZ uses such resources but as you can see and many other games (pserver one), there are no licenses or taxes being paid for that, after all, it's the internet and everyone does whatever he wants, what we could do though is control it at least here.
    I'm just talking about posts like Armani's that promise some kind of reward in exchange for art. If it's just an avatar or a signature made for fun I think that's fair. For example, I've never seen you ask for money for your avatars/signatures, you kinda just do em for fun or for other people so I don't consider that bad.

Also yeah definitely agree on anything AI not being allowed on the GFX section.

Thanks
    Amamin are you getting yourself into trouble!?

This is an interesting topic! I guess we need some direction here....

If we had more activity, I'd suggest a separate AI section. Perhaps it's best to simply ban AI artwork or require it be labeled as such..? I'm not even sure how to verify if something is AI generated.

Since we are a relatively small community - I think what George suggested is fine. Ban AI from competitions that involve prizes.

At the end of the day - if someone likes AI artwork better than other submissions it might deserve to win though, so it's tough.

Not sure
    Last edited by Armani; 01-14-2024 at 09:00 PM.

Thread Information