Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jawarisin's Avatar doG

Thanks
    "For the otaku's"

If you watched numerous animes, you should know by now that "otaku" is a derogatory therm
    Often confused because some peoples which are (sorry about that) ignorants about the therm miss use it, it's a direct insult.

For exemple, the word "hacker" is often and always confused with "cracker". This is just another exemple to help you understand the concept.
    If you do any search for Otaku, you will quickly find that it is a derogatory therm.

It's usually an insult towards peoples with no social life, who feel socially akward, stay home all the time, have no friends and live their life on the net. It could be considered as a "dork" or even worst.

It is branded to anime althought it has no direct connection to it either.
    For those reasons I would suggest changing it to something like :
    "For the Anime Lovers"
    "For the Anime Fans"
    Or anything else you can think of.

-Jawarisin
    This is Jawarisin

BLAST OF THE YEAR: https://freestylersworld.com/showthre...-your-donation!
    Thanks Superwaffle for that

https://freestylersworld.com/showthre...-Onther-app-gm
    LOL'D SO F*CKING HARD AT THE AGE!

Banned

Thanks
    nik am agree.
    pls chang descrption.

-Nikahcu

Banned

Thanks
    I don't think its meant to be taken this seriously.

Jawarisin's Avatar doG

Thanks
    Originally Posted by Flavour View Post
    I don't think its meant to be taken this seriously.
    Your a r3tard, you're not meant to take it seriously though.

-Jawarisin
    This is Jawarisin

Farmer Bashy's Avatar FGunZ E.L.I.T.E Member

Thanks
    I think it was either Wucas or KingHaze (I'm not sure if it was them) who asked Dave to change it from "For the Anime geeks", and I'm pretty sure an otaku is better than flat out calling someone a "geek" now-a-days (keep in mind none of us are from nor live in Japan).

In my opinion it's not even much of an insult, it isn't to be taken seriously. I mean, everyone that really loves watching anime that I've seen in this section, for example, me, zain, wucas, kinghaze, teresa, and I even think nick too, doesn't mind being considered a "nerd" for anime. Simply because we love watching it that it's very apparent that we NERD on it.

I don't really care about the description, so it can stay as "For the anime otaku's" or be changed to whatever, I really don't care, this is just my view, this is just how I see things. And now-a-days calling someone an otaku is basically calling them a fan of something.

I found you here:

"Use of the label can be a source of contention among some anime fans, p*****ularly those who are aware of the negative connotations the term has in Japan. Unpleasant stereotypes about otaku prevail in worldwide fan communities, and some anime fans express concern about the effect these more extreme fans can have on the reputation of their hobby."

But try to remember we don't actually live in Japan.
    Last edited by Farmer Bashy; 05-17-2013 at 10:03 AM.

ZAIN's Avatar ʎlǝuol os ɯ,I

Country
    Thanks
    if you feel insulted by this, you'll never survive living in our society

Jawarisin's Avatar doG

Thanks
    Originally Posted by CamelBoyBashy View Post
    I think it was either Wucas or KingHaze (I'm not sure if it was them) who asked Dave to change it from "For the Anime geeks", and I'm pretty sure an otaku is better than flat out calling someone a "geek" now-a-days (keep in mind none of us are from nor live in Japan).

In my opinion it's not even much of an insult, it isn't to be taken seriously. I mean, everyone that really loves watching anime that I've seen in this section, for example, me, zain, wucas, kinghaze, teresa, and I even think nick too, doesn't mind being considered a "nerd" for anime. Simply because we love watching it that it's very apparent that we NERD on it.

I don't really care about the description, so it can stay as "For the anime otaku's" or be changed to whatever, I really don't care, this is just my view, this is just how I see things. And now-a-days calling someone an otaku is basically calling them a fan of something.

I found you here:

"Use of the label can be a source of contention among some anime fans, p*****ularly those who are aware of the negative connotations the term has in Japan. Unpleasant stereotypes about otaku prevail in worldwide fan communities, and some anime fans express concern about the effect these more extreme fans can have on the reputation of their hobby."

But try to remember we don't actually live in Japan.
    Actually Otaku has a harsher meaning than geek, it's more of a dork, as it doesn't imply any social skills.

Personnaly I never heard anybody call a fan of a certain sport an "Otaku". The brand of people who actually think it's a good thing are peoples who watch animes, but not ennough to actually have any knowledge about it. Allow me to explain.

As someone start watching anime, he doesn't yet know the therms. Eventually, he see it and starts to relate to it because the main character is an "Otaku". And that's where it is. People who call themselves Otaku after seeing a few animes. Once you see a lot of them, you realise it's really a bad thing. It can be fun and made as a joke, but you shouldn't brand yourself as that.

Because ignorants use the word improperly doesn't mean we have to follow it. Knowing it's wrong and still going with it is even stupidier than following it out of ignorance.

Not living in japan is not an excuse. The word is japaneese... we should follow the meaning in japaneese. If I call you an idiot but give it a new meaning in french or spannish etc, does it allow me to brand you as an idiot and anything else I want?

-Jawarisin
    Last edited by Jawarisin; 05-17-2013 at 11:36 AM.
    This is Jawarisin

Wucas Pls's Avatar Asuka Langley Soryu

Thanks
    The truth is, I would probably fit the derogatory meaning of otaku to a T if I were in Japan... So it's "meh" to me

ZAIN's Avatar ʎlǝuol os ɯ,I

Country
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by Wucas View Post
    The truth is, I would probably fit the derogatory meaning of otaku to a T if I were in Japan... So it's "meh" to me
    yeah, but you're a gaijin so it's all good.

OT: unofficial vote for description change : yes or no
    no
    Last edited by ZAIN; 05-17-2013 at 12:22 PM.

Farmer Bashy's Avatar FGunZ E.L.I.T.E Member

Thanks
    Originally Posted by Jawarisin View Post
    Actually Otaku has a harsher meaning than geek, it's more of a dork, as it doesn't imply any social skills.

Personnaly I never heard anybody call a fan of a certain sport an "Otaku". The brand of people who actually think it's a good thing are peoples who watch animes, but not ennough to actually have any knowledge about it. Allow me to explain.

As someone start watching anime, he doesn't yet know the therms. Eventually, he see it and starts to relate to it because the main character is an "Otaku". And that's where it is. People who call themselves Otaku after seeing a few animes. Once you see a lot of them, you realise it's really a bad thing. It can be fun and made as a joke, but you shouldn't brand yourself as that.

Because ignorants use the word improperly doesn't mean we have to follow it. Knowing it's wrong and still going with it is even stupidier than following it out of ignorance.

Not living in japan is not an excuse. The word is japaneese... we should follow the meaning in japaneese. If I call you an idiot but give it a new meaning in french or spannish etc, does it allow me to brand you as an idiot and anything else I want?

-Jawarisin
    Well I didn't imagine that I would have to spell it out for you, but yes, I am very aware that an otaku means "no lifing" anime, having an obsession with anime. And as I stated before, people don't think much of it because it is the same as being called a no lifing nerd.

Also, I've been seeing you use the word "therm" instead of "term", is there a reason for that? I mean the word isn't spelt with an h.

Most people that watch anime that don't live in Japan, like me, don't really care about the word "otaku" because I don't ACTUALLY live in Japan, so I could really care less about some "harsh" meaning term in Japan. And I don't think anyone here brands themselves as an otaku, they, like me, don't really care about what the term means in Japan (since we don't actually live there) and we are well aware that we love watching anime. We see the term, as you stated before, as a joke and nothing more. So there is no branding.

And yes, you can call me a "baka", I really wouldn't care, for one, this is the internet and I don't actually live in Japan to take it as much of an insult. Also you can call me an idiot in English in real life and I still wouldn't give a ****. You need to understand that now-a-days everyone trolls, so our mind set is different from that of the past, hence, we don't take things as literally as we once did.

Now I'm going to take you up on your offer:

"Because ignorants use the word improperly doesn't mean we have to follow it. Knowing it's wrong and still going with it is even stupidier than following it out of ignorance."

Did you know that the slang "Swag" meant "secretly we are gay" back in the old days? I'm sure you know that that term is being used world-wide and has a different meaning. Now-a-days it means to basically have a sense of style when you dress.

Now would you say that the people using the word are ignorant? I wouldn't say that for sure. Just because a word used to mean something doesn't mean it can't have a second meaning. Maybe to gay people it will have that meaning, but to MANY of us now-a-days it has a different meaning. And as I'm sure you know, when you look up a word in the dictionary, many of times you find that word has many different meanings.

Therefore, in Japan (where none of us live) an otaku may continue to mean a no lifing nerd with an obsession, however, all over the world, for many people it has a different meaning.

^ My view.
    Last edited by Farmer Bashy; 05-17-2013 at 06:04 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information