Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Jawarisin's Avatar doG

Thanks
    Originally Posted by Wucas View Post
    The truth is, I would probably fit the derogatory meaning of otaku to a T if I were in Japan... So it's "meh" to me
    No reason to insult yourself. I personnaly watched, if you count the way MAL does, probably over 1000 animes, the definition of an Otaku still doesn't fit me, because watching anime is not the actual meaning. The meaning behind it is to stay home and never leave it. Having no friends and no social life. Anime got stuck with it eventually because of that kind of behavior it generated, but I still won't brand myself an Otaku.

Originally Posted by CamelBoyBashy View Post
    Well I didn't imagine that I would have to spell it out for you, but yes, I am very aware that an otaku means "no lifing" anime, having an obsession with anime. And as I stated before, people don't think much of it because it is the same as being called a no lifing nerd.

Also, I've been seeing you use the word "therm" instead of "term", is there a reason for that? I mean the word isn't spelt with an h.

Most people that watch anime that don't live in Japan, like me, don't really care about the word "otaku" because I don't ACTUALLY live in Japan, so I could really care less about some "harsh" meaning term in Japan. And I don't think anyone here brands themselves as an otaku, they, like me, don't really care about what the term means in Japan (since we don't actually live there) and we are well aware that we love watching anime. We see the term, as you stated before, as a joke and nothing more. So there is no branding.

And yes, you can call me a "baka", I really wouldn't care, for one, this is the internet and I don't actually live in Japan to take it as much of an insult. Also you can call me an idiot in English in real life and I still wouldn't give a ****. You need to understand that now-a-days everyone trolls, so our mind set is different from that of the past, hence, we don't take things as literally as we once did.

Now I'm going to take you up on your offer:

"Because ignorants use the word improperly doesn't mean we have to follow it. Knowing it's wrong and still going with it is even stupidier than following it out of ignorance."

Did you know that the slang "Swag" meant "secretly we are gay" back in the old days? I'm sure you know that that term is being used world-wide and has a different meaning. Now-a-days it means to basically have a sense of style when you dress.

Now would you say that the people using the word are ignorant? I wouldn't say that for sure. Just because a word used to mean something doesn't mean it can't have a second meaning. Maybe to gay people it will have that meaning, but to MANY of us now-a-days it has a different meaning. And as I'm sure you know, when you look up a word in the dictionary, many of times you find that word has many different meanings.

Therefore, in Japan (where none of us live) an otaku may continue to mean a no lifing nerd with an obsession, however, all over the world, for many people it has a different meaning.

^ My view.
    about this
    Also, I've been seeing you use the word "therm" instead of "term", is there a reason for that? I mean the word isn't spelt with an h.
    My main language isn't english, so sometime I make this kind of mistakes. Thanks for telling me though, I won't do it again from now on

Most people that watch anime that don't live in Japan, like me, don't really care about the word "otaku" because I don't ACTUALLY live in Japan, so I could really care less about some "harsh" meaning term in Japan. And I don't think anyone here brands themselves as an otaku, they, like me, don't really care about what the term means in Japan (since we don't actually live there) and we are well aware that we love watching anime. We see the term, as you stated before, as a joke and nothing more. So there is no branding.
    This is a section about a big part of the Japaneese culture. I understand times have changed, and I am not actually insulted like if someone told it to me in real life, but I'm still not willing to get insulted every time I get in here. Not living in japan isn't an excuse. I don't live in Japan either, but I still wouldn't purposefully get insulted in japaneese. Same with any other language. If i get insulted, I wouldn't go around bragging about how I'm "place chosen insult here".

Did you know that the slang "Swag" meant "secretly we are gay" back in the old days? I'm sure you know that that term is being used world-wide and has a different meaning. Now-a-days it means to basically have a sense of style when you dress.
    I searched that up, that's more of a myth. It's actual origins are not exactly determined, but it might be coming from the Norwegian svagga. There was plenty of other theories though, including the one you mentionned.

Now would you say that the people using the word are ignorant? I wouldn't say that for sure. Just because a word used to mean something doesn't mean it can't have a second meaning. Maybe to gay people it will have that meaning, but to MANY of us now-a-days it has a different meaning. And as I'm sure you know, when you look up a word in the dictionary, many of times you find that word has many different meanings.
    It doesn't have a second meaning.... Search it up or look it up in a japaneese dictionnary, the definition is pretty clear. Even the urban dictionnary online is pretty clear on that.

Therefore, in Japan (where none of us live) an otaku may continue to mean a no lifing nerd with an obsession, however, all over the world, for many people it has a different meaning.
    Japaneese is exclusively spoken in japan (don't talk about some small village somewhere). There is no second meaning, except the one that ignorant people invent for it.
    I am saying ignorant, but I don't mean ignorant completely, I mean unknowledgeable about something. Worst part is ignorants usually PRETEND they know, and thus make up stuff.

-Jawarisin

PS: No clue but I don't think unknowledgeable exist, but you still get the point
    This is Jawarisin

BLAST OF THE YEAR: https://freestylersworld.com/showthre...-your-donation!
    Thanks Superwaffle for that

https://freestylersworld.com/showthre...-Onther-app-gm
    LOL'D SO F*CKING HARD AT THE AGE!

ZAIN's Avatar ʎlǝuol os ɯ,I

Country
    Thanks
    " The meaning behind it is to stay home and never leave it. Having no friends and no social life."
    Hikkikomori, not otaku

Otaku's are people who are overly excited/passionate about a hobby. this does not neccesarily apply to anime, for example, someone can also be an sports otaku.

Dave's Avatar 1' or 1=1--

Country
    Thanks
    Oh damn look at this discussion about the description of a section.
    If it really bothers you, feel free to create a poll with different descriptions. Most votes will be the new description.

Mime's Avatar Real Nigga Talkin .

Country
    Thanks
    Who gives a fk..

I ain't gay but 20$ is 20$ - Taint 2016/2017

Juriën's Avatar :(){ :|: & };:

Country
    Thanks
    Idiot.

6. The following user said thank you to Juriën for this useful post:

Leopard (05-18-2013)

Dualage's Avatar 2hu nerdlord

Country
    Thanks
    I generally don't think it's an issue.

It's a situation where one person will feel offended and feels as if he needs to be the social justice hero because he may also think others, too, are offended (not saying anyone here is doing that, just exampling. And no offense either).

If you feel offended by a small issue as such, that's your problem. The majority doesn't seem to care anyways.

Al-Malik // The King

Country
    Thanks
    It's a freaking description.. why the **** does it matter?

9. The following 2 users say thank you to Adam for this useful post:

Juriën (05-18-2013), Leopard (05-18-2013)

Farmer Bashy's Avatar FGunZ E.L.I.T.E Member

Thanks
    Originally Posted by Jawarisin View Post
    No reason to insult yourself. I personnaly watched, if you count the way MAL does, probably over 1000 animes, the definition of an Otaku still doesn't fit me, because watching anime is not the actual meaning. The meaning behind it is to stay home and never leave it. Having no friends and no social life. Anime got stuck with it eventually because of that kind of behavior it generated, but I still won't brand myself an Otaku.

about this

My main language isn't english, so sometime I make this kind of mistakes. Thanks for telling me though, I won't do it again from now on

This is a section about a big part of the Japaneese culture. I understand times have changed, and I am not actually insulted like if someone told it to me in real life, but I'm still not willing to get insulted every time I get in here. Not living in japan isn't an excuse. I don't live in Japan either, but I still wouldn't purposefully get insulted in japaneese. Same with any other language. If i get insulted, I wouldn't go around bragging about how I'm "place chosen insult here".

I searched that up, that's more of a myth. It's actual origins are not exactly determined, but it might be coming from the Norwegian svagga. There was plenty of other theories though, including the one you mentionned.

It doesn't have a second meaning.... Search it up or look it up in a japaneese dictionnary, the definition is pretty clear. Even the urban dictionnary online is pretty clear on that.

Japaneese is exclusively spoken in japan (don't talk about some small village somewhere). There is no second meaning, except the one that ignorant people invent for it.
    I am saying ignorant, but I don't mean ignorant completely, I mean unknowledgeable about something. Worst part is ignorants usually PRETEND they know, and thus make up stuff.

-Jawarisin

PS: No clue but I don't think unknowledgeable exist, but you still get the point
    I was not saying it has a second meaning per se, I was saying that a new less demeaning meaning has been assigned to the word. Also I thought English was your first language, if I knew it wasn't then I wouldn't have brought it up, for we are all human so we all make mistakes, right.

And you're missing my point, whether or not the slang swag was meant for gays, or it was meant for something else, the word "swag", like "otaku" has also assigned a new meaning, of course, both being unofficial.

I googled the word because I saw that you kept saying "The meaning behind it is to stay home and never leave it. Having no friends and no social life", but I don't see anything about that. I only see what I previous knew about an otaku, that is, a person who has an "obsession" with something (and it just so happens that the word is mostly associated with anime).
    Last edited by Farmer Bashy; 05-18-2013 at 12:22 AM.

Banned

Thanks
    Originally Posted by Jawarisin View Post
    Your a r3tard, you're not meant to take it seriously though.

-Jawarisin
    im not a ******, so I'm not supposed to take it seriously.

Leopard's Avatar ***bitch2006

Thanks
    Wtf... you pay that much attention to something? Lol, ur ridiculous '-'
    #TEAMMELANIE #CLUBMELANIE
    jaja only hav dis sig if u r invited by me & cute nymph kk son or u imposter fegit

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information