User Not Found

Thanks
    Well let me start by saying I am requesting not a tutorial/s for 3D modeling, but rather the texturing aspect. Specifically creating your own, from scratch or using various sources. (Preferably scratch, of-course) When it comes to 3D modeling, I am, I'd like to think half decent, I know there is a hell of alot more for me to learn but I'm confident in the basics at least; however, I am absolutely horrible at texturing. Texturing is my weak point, I can barely create the texture in the first place, let alone wrap it around my model in a sufficient manner. Now I've already looked at alot of tutorials, but none really had anything special they were all pretty... generic.

That being said, I was hoping a Developer, or somebody who develops would be so kind as to maybe post a tutorial or two that you know is very well structured and is easy to understand. TL;DR - Does anybody have any tutorials they are confident in and would be willing to post to help a fellow out?

Thank you very much. Also feel free to move this if it's not in the appropriate section.

Wucas Pls's Avatar Asuka Langley Soryu

Thanks
    Originally Posted by Existence View Post
    Well let me start by saying I am requesting not a tutorial/s for 3D modeling, but rather the texturing aspect. Specifically creating your own, from scratch or using various sources. (Preferably scratch, of-course) When it comes to 3D modeling, I am, I'd like to think half decent, I know there is a hell of alot more for me to learn but I'm confident in the basics at least; however, I am absolutely horrible at texturing. Texturing is my weak point, I can barely create the texture in the first place, let alone wrap it around my model in a sufficient manner. Now I've already looked at alot of tutorials, but none really had anything special they were all pretty... generic.

That being said, I was hoping a Developer, or somebody who develops would be so kind as to maybe post a tutorial or two that you know is very well structured and is easy to understand. TL;DR - Does anybody have any tutorials they are confident in and would be willing to post to help a fellow out?

Thank you very much. Also feel free to move this if it's not in the appropriate section.
    I can probably make something small, but to be completely honest texturing is something you can't really "learn" from tutorials. 3D Design is (for the most part) algebra and geometry, for more complex things you may even through a few trig functions in there, but it is less of an art and more of an engineering skill. Texturing, on the other hand, takes both this technical knowledge and pure painting and drawing skills. I have seen alot of people wanting to learn how to texture, but never getting anywhere with it because of the amount of dedication needed. Take for instance the absolute need of a tablet. Without one you are going to be stuck with photoshop brushes and renders, none of which work very well. There is also the time aspect, the only way to get better at texturing is to do it more and more, putting hours into it. Texturing is also my weakest point and I can only blame myself for that reason.

In a sentence, the fundamentals of texturing can be easily displayed in a video, and I will be glad to do that, but as for the actual artist's hand (or so they call it), that I can not give to you.

3. The following 2 users say thank you to Wucas Pls for this useful post:

Existence (09-11-2013), Izzat (09-11-2013)

User Not Found

Thanks
    Thank you for replying, as expected it was very very informative and insightful. Seems like an interesting situation, seeing as how I love algebra and math related subjects but again am bad at texturing. I was afraid you would reassure me too that I need a tablet, I've always known they would make an immaculate difference but I've never had the extra money. Is having a tablet an absolute requirement? Or with enough time and dedication could photoshop do a sufficient enough job itself?

Also I appreciate the gesture, but I was only expecting a couple sentences and a video or two at most, I'm sure you have projects to work on and things you need to learn yourself so unless it's something you want to do anyways you don't have to make a video.

slugheady's Avatar ୧༼***༽୨

Thanks
    I can teach you to unwrap in 3DS max (by video tutorial). I can learn you some quick tips for that, and some small tips on the texturing itself. I can teach you as far as any tutorial "should" go. I can teach you basic techniques but after thats its going to have to be you practicing it a lot. Texturing is my weak side as well, but after more practice and googling at the specific moments for specific things on how to achieve something should get you there.

Send me a PM if you're interested, do remember I only work with 3DS max.

6. The following user said thank you to slugheady for this useful post:

Existence (09-11-2013)

User Not Found

Thanks
    Originally Posted by slugheady View Post
    I can teach you to unwrap in 3DS max (by video tutorial). I can learn you some quick tips for that, and some small tips on the texturing itself. I can teach you as far as any tutorial "should" go. I can teach you basic techniques but after thats its going to have to be you practicing it a lot. Texturing is my weak side as well, but after more practice and googling at the specific moments for specific things on how to achieve something should get you there.

Send me a PM if you're interested, do remember I only work with 3DS max.
    Ah so kind of you, thank you so much I really appreciate all the help I can get. I have been slowly transitioning over into 3DS luckily so that should not be an issue, just let me know the time(s) you are available and have a significant amount of free time and I'll shoot you a PM.

Thanks
    Ah so kind of you, thank you so much I really appreciate all the help I can get. I have been slowly transitioning over into 3DS luckily so that should not be an issue, just let me know the time(s) you are available and have a significant amount of free time and I'll shoot you a PM.
    I live in the timezone GMT+1. I work at home so I spend my entire day working / playing some games. I've usually got some time in between so add me on skype and we'll see if we can manage something (I'll pm you my skype).

Wucas Pls's Avatar Asuka Langley Soryu

Thanks
    Thank you for replying, as expected it was very very informative and insightful. Seems like an interesting situation, seeing as how I love algebra and math related subjects but again am bad at texturing. I was afraid you would reassure me too that I need a tablet, I've always known they would make an immaculate difference but I've never had the extra money. Is having a tablet an absolute requirement? Or with enough time and dedication could photoshop do a sufficient enough job itself?

Also I appreciate the gesture, but I was only expecting a couple sentences and a video or two at most, I'm sure you have projects to work on and things you need to learn yourself so unless it's something you want to do anyways you don't have to make a video.
    It would be quite impossible to do a tutorial in text form, and still difficult with added pictures, a video would simply be the easiest way to do it.

Now for your question about the tablet. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there is simply no way to expect the same quality of work, no matter how much time and effort put in, between users that are provided with a tablet and those who are not. If you were to ask the reason why, I could only say two reasons: pen pressure and accuracy. Sure you can get by without a tablet, I don't even think Hellsniper has one, but to actually really texture it will be needed. There is simply no way around it.

The cost is all relative, my tablet (being the piece of shit it is) was cheap, but yet still fairly durable and otherwise usable. I think I picked it up on ebay for 30 bucks? This is much better than the retail price of $120. [My tablet is the Wacolm Bamboo Create]

Just get what you are comfortable with, just like a mouse, there are tons of options, styles, and specs available; you don't have to buy a $1000 cintiq from the beginning.

Thanks
    Yeah I agree with Wucas partially about the tablet. I've never had one untill like a month ago. If you're going to "paint" your own textures, then the tablet is a must indeed. However, if you're just using bit/bump/spec maps and create them from cg stocks, you wont need the tablet. It does allow you the paint custom alpha channels / bump maps etc. but you can get around with it easily without one (I have done so for years).

ZAIN's Avatar ʎlǝuol os ɯ,I

Country
    Thanks
    if youre just gonna stick to weapons i think you'll be fine without a tablet. i actually find hard surfaces (like metal etc) easier to texture with a mouse than with a tablet. however, every other material like flesh, cloth, hair etc is easier with a tablet

Thread Information