Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rhysin's Avatar Freestyler

Thanks
    Made a sig for some guy who req'd one on **********.

What do you all think? What can I improve on for next time?

Blade's Avatar Junior Member

Thanks
    that looks beast

Thanks
    I think thats really really good, i dont think you need to improve much, its great.

Swish's Avatar Aiur

Country
    Thanks
    I like it
    IGN's:
    ^1Swish/Gold/Claimed
    V.I.P member since 1/11/14

Dante's Avatar Nephilim Son Of Sparda

Thanks
    I soooo want a sig from you! :o

Thanks
    I usually suck at making sigs from req's. The image Complexy requested just gave me a good vibe lol.

Taokaka's Avatar Junior Member

Thanks
    Hmmmm.

Ok so:

Positives:
    -Colors. The color scheme on this one is really nice. The black backdrop complimented by the dark blues and dark reds looks great( Not really a fan of that random yellow smudge though ). The text as well as vector lines also check out in terms of color and its very evident that you made sure the render fit right in place of the overlying color scheme( or the other way around! ).

-Lighting. Judging by most of your other works you have a somewhat advanced understanding of lighting and its applications. I love the soft brush at the top and the mapping and levels you used on the render ( if so ) are very tasteful and well done.

-Flow. Good use of flow with the vector lines and the splatters as well as the smudges off to the left. Everything follows the flow of the render and actually comes together quite well.

Negatives
    -Placement. This is where i feel the signature was hurt the most. I'm not one to dislike empty space in a signature, however, where the empty space in this signature is where the problem lies for me. The splatters could be a lot closer to the render, even overlapping it for a greater sense of depth. The smudging would have been more useful behind the render and to left. Having them so spread out takes a lot of attention away from the focal point and causes me to wander away from the render frequently when viewing it.

-Vector lines. There is nothing wrong with the way you used them. In fact out of all the effects used, the placement on the vector lines was probably the best. However with the style you went for they just don't fit in. Especially with the color you used, they stand out far too much and contrast the background a little too much.

Other
    -Text. Its not bad, but its nothing special. I'd say you could spice it up a little but and have to closer to the render maybe. The focal point is more towards the right so having the text on the left kind of takes away from that. This isn't a very big drawback however so its just something to consider for next time around.

All in all, this is a solid piece. I can totally relate to not being sure on the direction of requests, having worked as a graphic designer for 3 years( Ya' just don't know what they really want ).

I'd give it a 6/10 - from a design stand point.
    I'd give it 7/10 - purely based on aesthetics.

8. The following user said thank you to Taokaka for this useful post:

Rhysin (09-24-2013)

Thanks
    This was actually a stock picture and I always have trouble coming up with effects to add to stocks with plain black or white bg's. Can you PLEASE give me some tips on how to fill space well? I prefer a manlier feel to sigs if that matters.

Taokaka's Avatar Junior Member

Thanks
    Originally Posted by Rhysin View Post
    This was actually a stock picture and I always have trouble coming up with effects to add to stocks with plain black or white bg's. Can you PLEASE give me some tips on how to fill space well? I prefer a manlier feel to sigs if that matters.
    Lmao manlier. I can't help but feel thats some how hatin' on my waifu sigs. Just playing though.

As for how to fill space well. First off go a little more HAM on your effects. 3x as much smudging 3x as many splatters. As long as you keep them concentrated around the focal point theres no big deal. That being said after you're spam spamming out the effects you want to differentiate them from each other so it doesn't just look like spam. For smudges simply change up the colors for each one. For splatters you can use this neat little trick to make it look like theres a lot of stuff there when there really isn't. Keep in mind this only works AFTER you spam out the effects.

Clipping masks. I'm not sure if you already know what these are but ill explain briefly what I mean.

Steps:
    1- Make a new layer( layer 1 ), put a splatter where you want to effect to take place. Make sure the splatter is 100% opaque. If the splatter has some parts that fade off just spam click when you place it to make them opaque.

2- Hide layer 1 and create a new layer ( layer 2 ) on top.

3- Apply your image onto layer 2 (At the top select Image>Apply Image). What this does is it takes everything you have so far and puts it onto a separate layer.

now what you should have looks like

layer 2 [x]

layer 1 [ ]( not visible )

4- Un-hide layer 1 and right click layer 2 > Create clipping mask.

5- Click and drag layer 2 around and see what happens!

Its a great way to fill space when complimented with other effects. Remember to mix your splatters up with clipping masks and regular splatters to keep it fresh.
    Last edited by Taokaka; 09-24-2013 at 07:05 AM.

Thanks
    Yeah I knew how to do clipping masks, but I've always been sloppy with them. I'll try to work on smudging a bit more prominently. Thanks again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information