Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dante's Avatar Nephilim Son Of Sparda

Thanks
    Hi everyone and anyone who can answer this!

I have an HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook with an AMD Athlon II N330 Dual Core Processor.

Here's the problem, 3 days ago, I had 4 Go (2x2 Go) of RAM with unknown Mhz and since 2 days (the day after),

I bought 8 Go (2x4 Go) of RAM running at 1066 Mhz and the brand of the RAM is Patriot (which writes Unknown in the HP Solution Center).

But even more intriguing is, why does it random reboot from time to time?

I've been trying to see in the BIOS if there's any options for RAM Clocking (Which there's none, but also why?).

So, I've been checking some tutorials on how to underclock RAM with HP notebooks and well, varying the subjects.

And I've found some programs like CPUID CPU-Z (Motherboard & Processor stats), CPUID HWMonitor (Motherboard Voltage & Temp stats),
    MSI Control Center (Not supported by my motherboard, but BIOS look-a-like), MSI Afterburner (GPU Clocker), MSI Kombustor (GPU Tester) and AMD Overdrive (BIOS look-a-like).

P.S. Even me having those programs, I know 50-50 of what I'm doing, but I simply don't know how to underclock the RAM only because it is what my laptop needs.

Please someone help me!

And thanks in advance.

Truly,
    Your Friend ~LiveStepFreak~

Sorry to tell,
    But this is URGENT, I need the answer as soon as I can.
    I don't want my laptop to bust down, I already have everything backup.
    But I still don't want to lose this laptop until I get enough budget to get a new one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dante; 01-28-2014 at 05:32 PM.

Boss's Avatar 伊諾

Country
    Thanks
    Try each stick one by one and check if it's just one giving issues, might just be a faulty one. Are you sure they are compatible?

Also pretty sure you should be able to change clock speed in bios.. but I'm no expert either.
    Male 1: "check out this paki he's doing a donut in his car"
    Male 2: "is that a toyota corola?"
    Male 1: "no, its a VW golf"

Thanks
    Originally Posted by Boss View Post
    Try each stick one by one and check if it's just one giving issues, might just be a faulty one. Are you sure they are compatible?

Also pretty sure you should be able to change clock speed in bios.. but I'm no expert either.
    Both of them are Patriot brand and I've bought them in pair which cost me a lot more money,
    because as the technician where I bought them said,
    I'm definitely gonna pay them more, because they're validated to work together.

Boss's Avatar 伊諾

Country
    Thanks
    I meant compatible with your notebook. And even if they are compatible they could still be faulty, very common in computer components.

Thanks
    I meant compatible with your notebook. And even if they are compatible they could still be faulty, very common in computer components.
    Well, if you noticed the image, it still shows that it's there.
    And when I go to the System Settings, I see ''Installed RAM: 8 Gb (7.74 Gb usable)
    So I don't see from there that the RAM itself could be faulty, also that I noticed my laptop being faster.

Maybe I really need to underclock the RAM directly because of the high frequencies, which maybe also ask high voltage...?
    Don't really know.

Boss's Avatar 伊諾

Country
    Thanks
    Just because they are recognized doesn't mean they aren't faulty. If you can't change the clock speed you can also just increasd the voltage?

Thanks
    Just because they are recognized doesn't mean they aren't faulty. If you can't change the clock speed you can also just increasd the voltage?
    The AMD Overdrive.EXE recognizes both RAM stick and let's me get into the Memory options.
    From there, I still don't know how to underclock the RAM or put lower voltage to the CPU...?

P.S. The AMD Overdrive is a Windows program that looks like a BIOS, but has a different interface.

Notorious's Avatar Khangus Khan

Thanks
    Shut down your Notebook, upon restarting your HP Notebook, spam the F2 key this will open the Hp System Diagnostics, from there perform a 'Memory Extensive Test' and 'Hard Disc Extensive Test'

Restart > Spam F2 > Hp System Diagnostics > Memory Extensive Test / Hard Disk Extensive Test

See if it fails, if it does this could be down to a problem with the newly installed RAM. (As a HP Notebook owner I've experienced this)

The fact that it shows that your system can't detect what brand of RAM your system is using tells me that there may be some sort of compatibility issues, did you check that the newly bought RAM is correct for your notebook? Be 100% sure, just because someone behind a counter says it will doesn't always mean it will, HP themselves
    would be a better source of finding out if it is or isn't.

Have you tried using the original RAM that came with the Notebook?

Here's my notebook, as you can see my RAM is 'Samsung'

Randomly rebooting could be a few things, overheating, memory issues, battery problems...

Start by downloading a popular program for monitoring the temperature among other things:
    http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Keep an eye on the temperature of you notebook and try to get a feel for the temperature it restarts at. Use a can of compressed air in the reverse direction of the normal air flow while the computer is off. Try running the computer with only one memory chip at a time and try each slot. Then try the other chip if you have two. If you only have one, at least try the other slot. Try running the notebook without the battery and just the power adaptor. Try a hard reset:
    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...roduct=1132551

As for using AMD OVERDRIVE follow this link; http://www.ehow.com/how_12226406_amd...-tutorial.html
    Last edited by Notorious; 01-28-2014 at 10:27 PM.

Thanks
    Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
    Shut down your Notebook, upon restarting your HP Notebook, spam the F2 key this will open the Hp System Diagnostics, from there perform a 'Memory Extensive Test' and 'Hard Disc Extensive Test'

Restart > Spam F2 > Hp System Diagnostics > Memory Extensive Test / Hard Disk Extensive Test

See if it fails, if it does this could be down to a problem with the newly installed RAM. (As a HP Notebook owner I've experienced this)

The fact that it shows that your system can't detect what brand of RAM your system is using tells me that there may be some sort of compatibility issues, did you check that the newly bought RAM is correct for your notebook? Be 100% sure, just because someone behind a counter says it will doesn't always mean it will, HP themselves
    would be a better source of finding out if it is or isn't.

Have you tried using the original RAM that came with the Notebook?

Here's my notebook, as you can see my RAM is 'Samsung'

http://i61.tinypic.com/nxu9eo.png

Randomly rebooting could be a few things, overheating, memory issues, battery problems...

Start by downloading a popular program for monitoring the temperature among other things:
    http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Keep an eye on the temperature of you notebook and try to get a feel for the temperature it restarts at. Use a can of compressed air in the reverse direction of the normal air flow while the computer is off. Try running the computer with only one memory chip at a time and try each slot. Then try the other chip if you have two. If you only have one, at least try the other slot. Try running the notebook without the battery and just the power adaptor. Try a hard reset:
    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...roduct=1132551

As for using AMD OVERDRIVE follow this link; http://www.ehow.com/how_12226406_amd...-tutorial.html

First, Notorious,
    I would like to thank you for the huge help you're giving me here.

As for the CPUID Programs, I already have most of them as if you noticed what I said in the first post of the thread.
    For the E-How, I'll check that tomorrow during the day, because now it's almost midnight, Canada time and I'm mostly tired just to think of ''This and that''.
    I will also look at the HP Tutorial on how to the hard reset, I've never tried that before and could be helpful doing it.
    And for the AMD Overdrive, I will check this too, because HP doesn't have in any way a good BIOS system GUI panel and AMD Overdrive seems like a good BIOS look-a-like.

As for my memory and hard disk drive, I went to the HP System diagnosis (F2) and did both tests, yet both passed. So, I think nothing is getting faulty in all the components I have.
    Also, I've been checking Control Panel > System & Maintenance > System and I could see my new RAM as 8 Gb total (2x4 Gb) written as Slot 1: 4 Gb Unknown 1066 Mhz / Slot 2: 4 Gb Unknown 1066 Mhz which are Patriot brand RAM (usually well known brand).
    So, basically, it is recognized by the system.
    And as you said, it might be coming to a voltage OR clocking problem:

-Is the voltage too high or too low? (which I can check the AMD Overdrive tutorial link you sent me).
    -Does the CPU OR RAM need to be underclocked? (which I still don't know, but will look at the link for more info).
    -Or what else are we missing here? (have to look around).

Anyways, I will check this when I wake up.
    But not to forget, as I said, my RAM is not faulty because it recognizes it all from the HP System Diagnosis, Control Panel/System Panel and I've even checked the Device Manager and it's there.
    Also, I've been calling HP, Microsoft and other technicians around home to basically know what could be the problem and they gave me some possible solutions to fix it, still to try.
    But if I don't get to know what the problem is, I'll just bring it in for a check at some computer place where they could fix it.

To finish, I want to say you a HUGE thanks again for helping me with this and hopefully we get to know each other.

P.S. I forgot to say, my mother also bought a can of Dust Blaster so what I'll do is I'll open up the laptop (?) and make a complete dust removal before anything else.
    Last edited by Dante; 01-29-2014 at 07:28 AM.

Thanks
    I finally found out EXACTLY the reason why my laptop was random rebooting at random times. Doesn't have to do with technical problems at all...
    I rechanged my old RAM back in and I still had the box for the new RAM. I had put the new RAM back in its box and suddenly I get to see the guy from where I bought the RAM sold me the wrong pair of RAM.
    I looked at the box and it appeared to be 2x4 Gb of RAM running at 1333 Mhz he sold me and I NEEDED 2x4 Gb of RAM running at 1066 Mhz.

Here's the conclusion of all the problem, it's not any components that are faulty. It's just the dumb technician that simply sold me the wrong RAM and well, it's on warranty, so I can get some 1066 Mhz RAM.
    Thanks to all who had posted on this thread, but this can be an official hardware problem thread if ever anyone else need some help!
    I'd be more than happy to help anyone in the need!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information