Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Wucas Pls's Avatar Asuka Langley Soryu

Thanks
    Originally Posted by DDaggerDD View Post
    I forgot that you're still around. Legit reply from a staff member, respects yo. You have a good argument in the last half of your reply about short posts. I guess thats why we have a thanks system to avoid what you point out here. As for the start points of your reply; I've seen it forums where the users legit work together and try not to go off topic together knowing the consequences, it was pretty amazing. Seen it in other gunz server forums as well. I still don't believe closing the thread is the best way and is counter
    intuitive in the way I've stated here earlier. I believe if you guys are strict and do not wait for reports to take action, you can change the atmosphere of this forum positively. I know lots of people here go off topic and there are many useless comments (besides short comments) that only brig down threads. But if it were more strict here in the start, people wouldnt be so easy to type off topic/useless/spam replies.

Edit: I know i havent replied to some other key things you pointed out, on my phone atm hold up.
    As long as we both understand that this responsibility isn't completely left up to the moderators I think we are cool. I know this community is far from where I want it to be, and miles away from where it could be, but I think we are making progress. Everyone as a whole just needs to realize that things just work better when you are civil to each another. I never understood why being nice to others is so hard for some people.

I will try to give threads more of a chance in the future, and will suggest that to the other moderators, but if it comes between closing a thread or throwing a half dozen infractions, I will close the thread every time. A lot of people think we love to punish people, throw our power around, but that is most definitely not true for me; if anything I am too lenient. It pains me to punish members, because in most situations they are some of my closest friends. I call Freestyle a community for a reason.

In a perfect world, we wouldn't need any moderators at all.
    Last edited by Wucas Pls; 04-29-2014 at 04:43 AM.

2. The following user said thank you to Wucas Pls for this useful post:

Eddie (04-30-2014)

StephanM's Avatar 🌹

Country
    Thanks
    Perhaps I'll just wait with closing a thread untill someone start to complain about it, maybe that will put a smile on your face?
    Yet again if I look back at the whole thread, I still see comments that are not needed but hence to clean every single post (in most cases it is better to close a thread).

Ah well happy forum-browsing and good luck on keeping people on-topic in this thread.

Freestyler

Thanks
    Originally Posted by Wucas Pls View Post
    As long as we both understand that this responsibility isn't completely left up to the moderators I think we are cool. I know this community is far from where I want it to be, and miles away from where it could be, but I think we are making progress. Everyone as a whole just needs to realize that things just work better when you are civil to each another. I never understood why being nice to others is so hard for some people.

I will try to give threads more of a chance in the future, and will suggest that to the other moderators, but if it comes between closing a thread or throwing a half dozen infractions, I will close the thread every time. A lot of people think we love to punish people, throw our power around, but that is most definitely not true for me; if anything I am too lenient. It pains me to punish members, because in most situations they are some of my closest friends. I call Freestyle a community for a reason.

ur wucas, we know ur legit as the past proves, ssj4. That aside, im just talking about the closing of threads and what i've been sayin bout em. Oh also its good with ur new stand point to handle forums thanks b. K, well, i agree with closing instead of deleting a buncha stuffs. Still, I see an issue where it stands.

Now to think...

Okay. Well, let's not stop till we find a better solution is all I ask. I believe thats how a community should go about things sometimes. Like the issue on room tags, if you all can't agree on one thing, a common issue with it, don't try to continue with rants or w/e. So. Here. Let me tell you a story about the legend of the legendary forum:

There once was a forum, whose modding was tight. There wasn't a a spam of bans, nor too many fights.
    They had a system that allowed popular threads to stay on first page.
    These threads were exceptions, to some rules the staff made.
    Popular threads would be monitored tight
    rage out go off topic
    spam and fight users all day
    in these special threads, you might get banned one day.

Edits: Btw wucas i edited my reply that you replied to, added some more. Also, here is the method I believe is good to moderate peeps.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE METHOD:
    1. Staff members should not need to wait for reports to remove replies that are spam, hate comment, off topic, deemed as such in some official forum rules. Therefore, not requiring staff to wait for reports to handle these things on the forums.
    2. If users in a thread start going off topic and having a 1 on 1 convo with each other that is clearly off topic, remove the whole convo.
    3. Only clean a de railed thread thoroughly, once. If it starts going off topic again, close it. For other threads with small off topic replies, delete em. If you had to do at least 3+ or maybe 2+ more rounds of deleting small off topic comments, close the thread.
    4. Players can ask to re-open closed threads that have gone off topic, so just clean em up n open. But if a thread goes off topic EVEN ONCE by 1 person, delete the whole thread.

Conclusion: clean up threads by deleting off topic posts. Delete all replies that are a full blown off topic convo going on within a thread. And after all that, just delete/close thread.

Regarding the popular threads. In a forum i saw, if a thread gets 20+ replies minimum, it stays at the top of the list on the first page of a forum section. Allowing players to know whats the next thing to talk about, created hype and made the forums a lot more active. These threads were monitored with the goal to keep them open, for the community.
    Last edited by DDaggerDD; 04-29-2014 at 05:34 AM.

Bunnychaser's Avatar Severe Tire Damage

Thanks
    What you're saying discourages socialization. Every aspect of it does.
    It's a gaming forum. This means that the forum is based around gaming, and, in the case of FWorld, around gunz.
    This doesn't mean that gunz is all that should happen here. I think if you'd look through even your own posts, you'd find offtopic ones that seemed completely on topic at the time.
    What you're saying about single person conversations is a perfect example of that. I, personally, think that conversations between people should be happening in threads. You, yourself, in this thread, was having a one on one conversation with someone.

Another point you approach is derailing threads. Derailed threads are derailed for a reason. It's what the people want to talk about. Sure, it may not have been the original intent, but that's the point. You come on these forums to discuss things that are affecting you. If what's affecting the posters changes in the middle of a thread, then I believe they should change what they're posting. Conversations between people posting in threads that are considered offtopic help the community. Sure, there are limits to how far this rule should extend, and that's why moderation exists.

Not saying these forums have been 'nice' or 'perfect' in terms of following the rules; I'm just saying it's not gotten worse, so there's no real reason to fix it. I'd go as far as to say it's gotten better. The only drama I've seen on here recently is this thread and the others you created.

What you're saying is taking it too far. It's a community, not a Q&A forum.

Idk, just opinions from a lurker.
    Don't it always seem to go
    That you don't know what you've got
    Til its gone
    They paved paradise
    And put up a parking lot
    Hey, now they paved paradise
    To put up a parking lot.

6. The following user said thank you to Bunnychaser for this useful post:

Eddie (04-30-2014)

Banned

Country
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by DDaggerDD View Post
    ur wucas, we know ur legit as the past proves, ssj4. That aside, im just talking about the closing of threads and what i've been sayin bout em. Oh also its good with ur new stand point to handle forums thanks b. K, well, i agree with closing instead of deleting a buncha stuffs. Still, I see an issue where it stands.

Now to think...

Okay. Well, let's not stop till we find a better solution is all I ask. I believe thats how a community should go about things sometimes. Like the issue on room tags, if you all can't agree on one thing, a common issue with it, don't try to continue with rants or w/e. So. Here. Let me tell you a story about the legend of the legendary forum:

There once was a forum, whose modding was tight. There wasn't a a spam of bans, nor too many fights.
    They had a system that allowed popular threads to stay on first page.
    These threads were exceptions, to some rules the staff made.
    Popular threads would be monitored tight
    rage out go off topic
    spam and fight users all day
    in these special threads, you might get banned one day.

Edits: Btw wucas i edited my reply that you replied to, added some more. Also, here is the method I believe is good to moderate peeps.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE METHOD:
    1. Staff members should not need to wait for reports to remove replies that are spam, hate comment, off topic, deemed as such in some official forum rules. Therefore, not requiring staff to wait for reports to handle these things on the forums.
    2. If users in a thread start going off topic and having a 1 on 1 convo with each other that is clearly off topic, remove the whole convo.
    3. Only clean a de railed thread thoroughly, once. If it starts going off topic again, close it. For other threads with small off topic replies, delete em. If you had to do at least 3+ or maybe 2+ more rounds of deleting small off topic comments, close the thread.
    4. Players can ask to re-open closed threads that have gone off topic, so just clean em up n open. But if a thread goes off topic EVEN ONCE by 1 person, delete the whole thread.

Conclusion: clean up threads by deleting off topic posts. Delete all replies that are a full blown off topic convo going on within a thread. And after all that, just delete/close thread.

Regarding the popular threads. In a forum i saw, if a thread gets 20+ replies minimum, it stays at the top of the list on the first page of a forum section. Allowing players to know whats the next thing to talk about, created hype and made the forums a lot more active. These threads were monitored with the goal to keep them open, for the community.
    how about no

Saam's Avatar 超常发挥

Thanks
    Just sayin' .....
    Not only forum moderators that tryna control so much...GM's too. *cough* George *cough*

Banned

Country
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by Saam View Post
    Just sayin' .....
    Not only forum moderators that tryna control so much...GM's too. *cough* George *cough*
    ???? Braindead ?

10. The following user said thank you to Mike for this useful post:

mr guy (04-29-2014)

ZAIN's Avatar ʎlǝuol os ɯ,I

Country
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by Saam View Post
    Just sayin' .....
    Originally Posted by Miko pls View Post
    ???? Braindead ?
    its these kinds of comments that he's talking about that ruin a whole thread. ironically, Saam even thanked op's post yet still acts otherwise.

another quick and dirty solution to the problem of people derailing a thread or going offtopic is to ban those people from posting in certain subfora such as 'suggestions' and 'debates'. from what i've noticed, it's always the same few people going offtopic and causing a thread to get deleted so if you shut down that small minority, you should be fine.

12. The following 2 users say thank you to ZAIN for this useful post:

DDaggerDD (04-29-2014), Eddie (04-30-2014)

Freestyler

Thanks
    Originally Posted by Zain View Post
    its these kinds of comments that he's talking about that ruin a whole thread. ironically, Saam even thanked op's post yet still acts otherwise.

another quick and dirty solution to the problem of people derailing a thread or going offtopic is to ban those people from posting in certain subfora such as 'suggestions' and 'debates'. from what i've noticed, it's always the same few people going offtopic and causing a thread to get deleted so if you shut down that small minority, you should be fine.
    One of the bes solutions so far.

I don't agree with letting people de rail threads and talk random stuff or have personal covos in peoples threads. We have a chat box, private messaging, or people can make threads to socialize in off topic or other forum sections. Saying that rules that are here to help keep threads clean also prohibit socializing is invalid because you can still socialize on the forum in many other ways that would recover any possible little loss we would lose from not being able to troll in threads. I've had 1v1 convos here, your right (whoever said that). But that is only mainly because i was replying to an off topic comment in the first place. If that comment was prevented in the start, then i wouldnt feel the need to say what i did.

Originally Posted by Taint View Post
    how about no
    As for the removal of posts under 10 words, if you are really fishing for comments that bad, use an instant messaging program. I remove comments I feel are unnecessary because I feel they add nothing to the discussion. There are exceptions in some situations of course, but if you really are posting "Good Idea", you are just bumping up your post count. DD, you care about your posts, as I can tell with their length and wording, I cannot believe you would want comments as worthless as that. If you like something or agree with it, post why, that is all I ask. We want a discussion, not a dozen kids trying to up an imaginary number.
    It usually is the same people.
    Last edited by DDaggerDD; 04-29-2014 at 02:33 PM.

Corque's Avatar The New Guy

Thanks

Because on the Internet people's ego and pig-headed side come out; Gunz never had the best community regardless, but there's always the people who seek out to cause trouble, which is just a waste of time imho.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information