Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Real Girl

Thanks
    Hi everyone,

Nice to meet you all. I'm Secrets. I've been the primary developer for other big-name GunZ servers in the past. You may have heard of my work before, and this server even uses my work in the form of the Capture the Flag mode!

First, a bit of my history:

I'm 22, a programmer, and one of the most relaxed people around.

I don't do much graphical design but instead I work on developing code for the other groups of people to work with and create art with. This means that while I lack graphically, all of the things I do will be mostly behind-the-scenes and systems related.

I believe in integrity and a commitment to a project first and foremost - everyone involved in my project needs to be as passionate as I am about creating the ultimate experience for my full potential to be realized.

Moving on...

So that's cool and all, what short term changes should I expect from you?

Short term changes? Well, the fun part about working on a new project means that I have to learn what everyone likes all over again.
    Unfortunately, as much as I would like to make this easier on myself and pretend to know what you all want, I can't speak for the community.
    However, I can present options much like the other developers and we can come to a conclusive solution with the entire community on what should be added!

But that didn't answer your question, did it? Well, that was leading up to this:

First, I've had a bunch of code that I have been working on quietly in my spare time. To start with my initiation to the community and what they should expect from someone new, they need to see what I can do for them and go from there.

So I present to you, the first thing I will be adding if the community wants it. It's a common favorite, and something I spent many hours (read: 3 hours) perfecting.

Late Join Quest

What is this?
    It's an addition to Quest so you can join late to the quest room! Commonly known as 'intrusion' by MAIET, it allows you to join a room in progress. It's pretty cool, but one of the major problems that GunZ server have faced in the past is that they cannot join a quest room in progress even as a GM.

No more will that be an issue!

Magically, with the coding I have done, you will be able to set quest modes to be intruded on and they will route the proper information of all the NPCs in the room for that round to the joining player, as well as the round progress. Pretty cool, right?
    How will it work mechanically?

Think of it like this: You're joining a TDM in progress. You have to wait until the next round to spawn. The same rules from TDM apply to quest rounds in this scenario; you can spectate the NPCs and the player fighting them until the next round.

The only difference between this and TDM spectator, is that you won't get quest experience unless you have spawned at the beginning of the round.

Sounds great! Or maybe it doesn't, you decide.

Do you think this idea is a good idea? Would you like to see it implemented in FGunZ? Post in this thread to voice your opinion.

Ok, that one feature sounds good. Anything else you are working on?

Certainly. A programmer's job is not just making mechanical changes, new gametypes, or something along the lines of something visible. I have gone through the source code and added a few memory leak fixes which will reduce the memory footprint of the application by 2+MB. While small, all these changes go very far when compared to the bigger picture of things. Your client's performance is important to us.

I also have some tools in the pipeline to make artists' jobs a bit more fun. More on that in a future blogpost.

I'd love to hear your opinions and reactions from reading this blog post. Post in this thread to voice your opinion.
    I am glad to be here and hope we can build a great future together.

Until next time,
    -Secrets

2. The following 13 users say thank you to SecretsOTheP for this useful post:

d1sgusting (05-04-2014), jochem15 (05-14-2014), Kira (05-04-2014), Lilith (05-05-2014), Mike (05-04-2014), Oink (05-04-2014), Ommadawn (05-04-2014), Rogelio (05-12-2014), Sterfy (05-04-2014), Striker (05-05-2014), SuperShotty (05-06-2014), Yunal (05-28-2014), ZAIN (05-04-2014)

Cute Nymph's Avatar Being Kunaged since 09'

Thanks
    Go Secrets, good job !

Ommadawn's Avatar Bird + Trash = ?

Country
    Thanks
    I love your ideas, I really do, but I think people will abuse the 'Late Join Quest'. Some people will purposely join late to the quest room like 5-10 secs before the boss dies to get a free EXP. But of course people cannot predict from outside the room if the quest has just began or its about to finish.

But in my opinion, we should give it a shot.
    If it works good and people will love it = Great, keep it.
    If most of the people won't like it = remove it.
    Simple as that ^

Real Girl

Thanks
    Originally Posted by Ommadawn View Post
    I love your ideas, I really do, but I think people will abuse the 'Late Join Quest'. Some people will purposely join late to the quest room like 5-10 secs before the boss dies to get a free EXP. But of course people cannot predict from outside the room if the quest has just began or its about to finish.

But in my opinion, we should give it a shot.
    If it works good and people will love it = Great, keep it.
    If most of the people won't like it = remove it.
    Simple as that ^
    As I stated in my blog post you must be alive from the round start in order to receive experience for that round.

6. The following user said thank you to SecretsOTheP for this useful post:

Oink (05-04-2014)

Banned

Country
    Thanks
    Imo once the boss is killed the loading screens etc take ages to finish '-'. Would be awesome if that could be shorter.

8. The following user said thank you to Mike for this useful post:

DDaggerDD (05-05-2014)

Country
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by SecretsOTheP View Post
    As I stated in my blog post you must be alive from the round start in order to receive experience for that round.
    So think about that, why would I as a normal player join to a quest room which is already in a progress if I won't get any EXP?

Country
    Thanks
    mariya, it's derek from ventrilo! we have a new ventrilo now so Ill message it to you!

anti-uc establishment is needed xd
    Last edited by d1sgusting; 05-04-2014 at 09:20 PM.

ZAIN's Avatar ʎlǝuol os ɯ,I

Country
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by Ommadawn View Post
    So think about that, why would I as a normal player join to a quest room which is already in a progress if I won't get any EXP?
    i feel like this feature would fit better if quests were more like dungeon runs, which could be a quest with more than 10 rounds, mini-bosses etc that alltogether should last like 30 minutes before the whole quest is cleared

12. The following user said thank you to ZAIN for this useful post:

DDaggerDD (05-05-2014)

Country
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by Zain View Post
    i feel like this feature would fit better if quests were more like dungeon runs, which could be a quest with more than 10 rounds, mini-bosses etc that alltogether should last like 30 minutes before the whole quest is cleared
    Something like a Survival, but each rounds goes for like 5 mins. sounds good

slugheady's Avatar ୧༼***༽୨

Thanks
    It's a nice edition and definitely worth implementing. I couldn't think of anyone 'not' wanting this.

However, quests aren't popular nowadays (Just checked: 7 rooms out of 47). The popularity could be increased with some effort of the Dev's, but a wild guess of mine is saying that quests aren't a big thing in the future that GunZ has left. There have been numerous discussions about popularity, competitive elements and roomtags. I personally would love to see you put some effort in there and come up with an idea or two to support those subjects, instead of the questing part (even though this is pretty cool). I'll give you my personal desire for the server which would be something that has to do with CW, top 20, tournaments, monthly basis and that all in-game supportive.

Welcome (back) to the community and I hope to see more from you.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information