Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    wys

Country
    Thanks
    I think religion is a group made up but I don't disrespect others thoughts.. Well many people say you can't eat something in their religion but people still eat it and then say "I am " " <(religion)"..

StephanM's Avatar 🌹

Country
    Thanks
    I think we can agree that religion is basicly a guidance for people to follow/believe in (tell me if you think I am wrong on this one)?
    What I never understood was why some people of certain religion (can be any religion) fight against other religion cause of what is right and wrong, I mean.. most people are able to choose for themselves.

Phanta's Avatar ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Country
    Thanks
    religion= war. sadbuttrue

4. The following user said thank you to Phanta for this useful post:

Juriën (05-15-2014)

Juriën's Avatar :(){ :|: & };:

Country
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by Phanta View Post
    religion= war. sadbuttrue
    ^ I agree with this.

As far of all wars began because of religious reasons.
    In my personal opinion, religions are okay, to use it to perfect yourself, like muslims don't drink or smoke and intend to learn and christianity stands for loyalty and behaviour.

I find it okay to find sorrow in "god" and to use him as your "friend" to talk to in need.

BUT.
    I can't find the reason why you can't do that all without a religion, many of my friends stepped out of their parents religion, but life with the same standards.

I find religion unnecessary, but that's my opinion.

6. The following 2 users say thank you to Juriën for this useful post:

Eddie (05-15-2014), StephanM (05-15-2014)

slugheady's Avatar ୧༼***༽୨

Thanks
    Originally Posted by Wucas Pls View Post
    You are using extremists to make your point, that is a very slippery slope. I could say that since Stalin was a atheist that he had no respect for human life so bam, there goes the lives of 60 million Russians; I could say that atheism is the reason Mao Zedong attributed to the death of 67 million Chinese people. Most people don't even recognize the Westboro Babtist Church as a sect of Christianity, let alone as a shining example of what religion is; You might as well put them right in line with The Branch Davidians or Jonestown.

As for Religion being harmful to science I firmly disagree. Science is the study of questioning every probable outcome, of proving something doesn't work, and in that respect is not religion perfect? Religion has driven scientist to study the stars, the earth, and life itself if only to change the assumptions of the public. If there were not people to question every theory made, we would be set thousands of years.

This debate is not about atheism being better than religion or Islamic beliefs being more solid than Christianity, it is about principle. Religion is a decision made by every single individual on a fundamental and moralistic level, it becomes not only a choice, but a reason for living. People continually argue over sexism, sexualism, or racism, over wealth, education, and livelihood, but when it comes to religion the most liberal minds freeze and begin to question "why" and "how". I do not understand this at all. Why do we segregate each other based on these individualistic beliefs and understandings. I may not believe in the same teachings as Buddhist, but why should that change how I view him as a person. His beliefs are his concern and not my own.

Summary: If you want my opinion on religion then I can give it to you in a single sentence, "If everyone just accepted that their beliefs are as unique as their fingerprint the world would be a much better place."

Instead of arguing over whether John should eat pork or not, how about we collectively do something we all can agree on, like I don't know, curing kids with cancer or something.
    Extremist or not, it's no secret that religion has caused wars all over the world, not just wars that have passed but ongoing ones as well. It is not the only cause for war, we all know that. But I think you would lose the death counting number by far if you would take atheism vs religious based murder.

You say that religion has driven scientist to study the stars, earth and life itself if only to change the assumptions of the public? That would be pretty bold to say. Humans seek reasoning with everything they experience, especially in older times human took religion for an answer. I don't believe scientist were just driven to counter religion itself, they simply didn't believe it and must have felt the need to find out themselves why certain things would happen. Religion didn't create scientists, the human nature did.

ZAIN's Avatar ʎlǝuol os ɯ,I

Country
    Thanks
    religion did cause wars, but you can't say that the world would be a better place without religion. religion defines like 80% of human history, you cant assume that if you 'remove religion' our world will be the exact same but just without religion.

mankind would have found tons of other reasons to cause wars, some which could be much much worse than the religious wars we have right now.

Juriën's Avatar :(){ :|: & };:

Country
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by Zain View Post
    religion did cause wars, but you can't say that the world would be a better place without religion. religion defines like 80% of human history, you cant assume that if you 'remove religion' our world will be the exact same but just without religion.

mankind would have found tons of other reasons to cause wars, some which could be much much worse than the religious wars we have right now.
    We would live futuristc

slugheady's Avatar ୧༼***༽୨

Thanks
    Originally Posted by Zain View Post

Nobody said we would be better of without religion, not sure where that is coming from.

Banned

Thanks
    if religion didnt exist, we would be 1000 years more technologically advanced.

12. The following user said thank you to KoVuMASA for this useful post:

Juriën (05-16-2014)

oi Blake

Thanks
    Originally Posted by KoVuMASA View Post
    if religion didnt exist, we would be 1000 years more technologically advanced.
    even though you pulled the number out of your ass, I still agree with the concept that religion has slowed us down somewhat, in terms of advancement of technology/medicine.
    Decided to burn a lot of calories today, so I set a fat kid on fire.

14. The following user said thank you to MadameDeath for this useful post:

Juriën (05-16-2014)

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread Information