Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Banned

Thanks
    Originally Posted by MadameDeath View Post
    even though you pulled the number out of your ass, I still agree with the concept that religion has slowed us down somewhat, in terms of advancement of technology/medicine.
    So there are a lot of people who say that the Dark Ages, lasting about 1,000 years, set humans back technologically.

However, some say that since the Dark Ages really only affected Western Europe, and not the Middle East or Asia, it wouldn't make a difference.

Is there research to backup either claim?

history technology
    shareimprove this question
    edited Aug 26 '11 at 15:58

Fabian♦
    17.9k1082139
    asked May 4 '11 at 18:16

James
    The "what if" parts of the question are somewhat off-topic, they invite too much speculation. I'd focus the question on investigating the claim that there was no significant technological progress happening in the dark ages in europe. – Fabian♦ May 4 '11 at 18:26

Even if that was true, @Fabian, the Moors did make significant advances that we eventually inherited, for example in mathematics... – Sklivvz♦ May 4 '11 at 19:25
    Another problem that makes this question vague is that it is impossible to know what knowledge was lost in the dark ages, because otherwise it wouldn't have been lost... – Lagerbaer May 4 '11 at 193

@James:Can you define 'us' and 'we'? – apoorv020 May 6 '11 at 109

@Lagerbaer: Actually, some knowledge has been recovered from palimpsests and the like, and some was preserved by Arabs and others. It's all complicated, and from what I've seen there was plenty of progress in technology in Europe. – David Thornley May 7 '11 at 18:54
    Show 2 More Comments
    3 Answers
    activeoldestvotes
    up vote
    down vote
    The 'Dark Ages' (used here to describe approximately a thousand years following the fall of the Roman Empire) is a huge misnomer. It's often thought of as a time of stagnation between the Roman Empire and the Renaissance, but in actual fact it was a time of rapid technological progress. The later period was particularly rapid. From Wikipedia:

During the 12th and 13th century in Europe, there was a radical change in the rate of new inventions, innovations in the ways of managing traditional means of production, and economic growth. The period saw major technological advances, including the invention of cannon, spectacles, and artesian wells, and the cross-cultural introduction of gunpowder, silk, the compass, and the astrolabe from the east. One major agricultural innovation during this period was the development of a 3-field rotation system for planting crops (as opposed the 2-field system that was being used). Further, the development of the heavy plow allowed for a rise in communal agriculture as most individuals could not afford to do it by themselves. As a result, medieval villages had formed a type of collective ownership and communal agriculture where the use of horses allowed villages to grow.
    Other inventions made during the Middle Ages included: the clock, the windmill,horseshoes, the rudder, and various navigation instruments. Some of them are adoptions from other places, such as Arabic numerals.

So Western Europe was unquestionably more advanced in the 15th Century than it was in the 5th Century. Elsewhere in the world, where progress was continuous and just as rapid, there isn't even a question. We can safely say that the fall of the Roman Empire had minimal effect on technological progress in China and India.

Would Western Europe have been even more advanced if Rome hadn't fallen? That's more difficult. Rome was in many ways hidebound and bureaucratic. The renowned "Roman roads", for example, were specifically designed to move troops and were not suitable for Medieval waggons, meaning that traders preferred to use other routes, even when the Roman roads were still in good repair. It's possible that a continued Roman Empire would have progressed as rapidly as the 'Dark Ages' in fact did, and starting from a more advanced base reached further - but it's also possible that they wouldn't.

http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/qu...never-happened

so **** you.

have a nice day
    Last edited by KoVuMASA; 05-16-2014 at 03:07 AM.

Crest's Avatar 하나님

Country
    Thanks
    I've read some very interesting and some straight up stupid responses to this so I'll just throw my thoughts on this in here aswell.

I think religion is something that may have started as a very pure and innocent attempt at people trying to live by a code that made them better humans (no killing, no stealing, etc.) but lately religion has turned into a mass brainwashing cult. I say religion in general because if I mention a single religion, people with persecution complexes will start freaking out.

Religion is now used as a way to profiteer off of people who seek comfort in a group environment, I'm mainly talking about bigger establishments here. Huge churches/mosques/temples are focued on nothing but profit and religion is a great way to make some profit, I'm not saying every religious establishment is like this, there are still lots of small establishments that focus on nothing other than teaching humans to be better humans.

I think the basic messages and teachings of religion are very good for us but the way it is used now, as a way to just extort money out of people, is disgusting.
    Although I slightly disagree with the whole "profiteer" context to a certain extent, what you've said summarizes my view on religion.
    S/o to the Kings...!

oi Blake

Thanks
    Originally Posted by KoVuMASA View Post
    So there are a lot of people who say that the Dark Ages, lasting about 1,000 years, set humans back technologically.

However, some say that since the Dark Ages really only affected Western Europe, and not the Middle East or Asia, it wouldn't make a difference.

Is there research to backup either claim?

history technology
    shareimprove this question
    edited Aug 26 '11 at 15:58

Fabian♦
    17.9k1082139
    asked May 4 '11 at 18:16

James
    The "what if" parts of the question are somewhat off-topic, they invite too much speculation. I'd focus the question on investigating the claim that there was no significant technological progress happening in the dark ages in europe. – Fabian♦ May 4 '11 at 18:26

Even if that was true, @Fabian, the Moors did make significant advances that we eventually inherited, for example in mathematics... – Sklivvz♦ May 4 '11 at 19:25
    Another problem that makes this question vague is that it is impossible to know what knowledge was lost in the dark ages, because otherwise it wouldn't have been lost... – Lagerbaer May 4 '11 at 193

@James:Can you define 'us' and 'we'? – apoorv020 May 6 '11 at 109

@Lagerbaer: Actually, some knowledge has been recovered from palimpsests and the like, and some was preserved by Arabs and others. It's all complicated, and from what I've seen there was plenty of progress in technology in Europe. – David Thornley May 7 '11 at 18:54
    Show 2 More Comments
    3 Answers
    activeoldestvotes
    up vote
    down vote
    The 'Dark Ages' (used here to describe approximately a thousand years following the fall of the Roman Empire) is a huge misnomer. It's often thought of as a time of stagnation between the Roman Empire and the Renaissance, but in actual fact it was a time of rapid technological progress. The later period was particularly rapid. From Wikipedia:

During the 12th and 13th century in Europe, there was a radical change in the rate of new inventions, innovations in the ways of managing traditional means of production, and economic growth. The period saw major technological advances, including the invention of cannon, spectacles, and artesian wells, and the cross-cultural introduction of gunpowder, silk, the compass, and the astrolabe from the east. One major agricultural innovation during this period was the development of a 3-field rotation system for planting crops (as opposed the 2-field system that was being used). Further, the development of the heavy plow allowed for a rise in communal agriculture as most individuals could not afford to do it by themselves. As a result, medieval villages had formed a type of collective ownership and communal agriculture where the use of horses allowed villages to grow.
    Other inventions made during the Middle Ages included: the clock, the windmill,horseshoes, the rudder, and various navigation instruments. Some of them are adoptions from other places, such as Arabic numerals.

So Western Europe was unquestionably more advanced in the 15th Century than it was in the 5th Century. Elsewhere in the world, where progress was continuous and just as rapid, there isn't even a question. We can safely say that the fall of the Roman Empire had minimal effect on technological progress in China and India.

Would Western Europe have been even more advanced if Rome hadn't fallen? That's more difficult. Rome was in many ways hidebound and bureaucratic. The renowned "Roman roads", for example, were specifically designed to move troops and were not suitable for Medieval waggons, meaning that traders preferred to use other routes, even when the Roman roads were still in good repair. It's possible that a continued Roman Empire would have progressed as rapidly as the 'Dark Ages' in fact did, and starting from a more advanced base reached further - but it's also possible that they wouldn't.

http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/qu...never-happened

so **** you.

have a nice day
    wow great copy pasta man !

also ur using a website called "skeptics" to validate the random number you came up with.. but it doesn't prove jackshit. The 1000 number is just something you pulled out of your ass, you can copy and paste as many things as you want, still wont change that.

so **** you.

have a nice day
    Decided to burn a lot of calories today, so I set a fat kid on fire.

Lorrainé's Avatar 完全に不完全な

Country
    Thanks
    I still disagree about the point of 'Life would be more advanced or futuristic if there were to be no religions in the world'... Religion itself is a transcendent dimension for humans or their adherents try to communicate with their 'God' whatsoever... over-extending the human limits etc. Having rules and morals within the religion does not determine or explains the fact that it's slowing humanity down with their latest technologies and what, it's more like tradition, and if there wasn't a tradition from the start, where would humans be today?...and like what Wucas had stated:

Originally Posted by Wucas Pls View Post
    As for Religion being harmful to science I firmly disagree. Science is the study of questioning every probable outcome, of proving something doesn't work, and in that respect is not religion perfect? Religion has driven scientist to study the stars, the earth, and life itself if only to change the assumptions of the public. If there were not people to question every theory made, we would be set thousands of years.

This debate is not about atheism being better than religion or Islamic beliefs being more solid than Christianity, it is about principle. Religion is a decision made by every single individual on a fundamental and moralistic level, it becomes not only a choice, but a reason for living. People continually argue over sexism, sexualism, or racism, over wealth, education, and livelihood, but when it comes to religion the most liberal minds freeze and begin to question "why" and "how". I do not understand this at all. Why do we segregate each other based on these individualistic beliefs and understandings. I may not believe in the same teachings as Buddhist, but why should that change how I view him as a person. His beliefs are his concern and not my own.

Summary: If you want my opinion on religion then I can give it to you in a single sentence, "If everyone just accepted that their beliefs are as unique as their fingerprint the world would be a much better place."
    Tomorrow comes today

Freestyler

Thanks
    make way, your about to read a book.

Page 1.

I joke lol. So yea, I hart god 8D

6. The following user said thank you to DDaggerDD for this useful post:

Sterfy (05-16-2014)

Banned

Thanks
    wow great copy pasta man !

also ur using a website called "skeptics" to validate the random number you came up with.. but it doesn't prove jackshit. The 1000 number is just something you pulled out of your ass, you can copy and paste as many things as you want, still wont change that.
    im just using that as an example that alot of people say "1000" years.

i dont know how you didnt get that the first time

how ****ing stupid are you?

srsly.

DUUMBBBBBBBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

DID U EVEN GO TO SK00L H0LYF0K IQ OF A SQUIRREL

srsly tho how did u miss the point of that?

is your head that far up your ass?

lOOLOLOLOL

suck a cock fat kid
    Last edited by KoVuMASA; 05-16-2014 at 07:18 AM.

oi Blake

Thanks
    im just using that as an example that alot of people say "1000" years.

i dont know how you didnt get that the first time

how ****ing stupid are you?

srsly.

DUUMBBBBBBBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

DID U EVEN GO TO SK00L H0LYF0K IQ OF A SQUIRREL

srsly tho how did u miss the point of that?

is your head that far up your ass?

lOOLOLOLOL

suck a cock fat kid
    ye pretty obvious your just a mad little boy whos not smart enough to type up proper sentences, stay away from this thread, enough morons posted here already.
    "IQ of a squirrel" while your only responses were posts like this that make you look braindead and copied articles that I'm sure you didn't uderstand when you read them.

stick to gunz topics idiot, you are obviously too stupid to understand that I agreed with your post rofl
    Decided to burn a lot of calories today, so I set a fat kid on fire.

Sterfy's Avatar Junior Member

Thanks

10. The following user said thank you to Sterfy for this useful post:

Lemonish (05-16-2014)

--

Country
    Thanks
    i believe in this !

iam muslim !

Banned

Thanks
    ye pretty obvious your just a mad little boy whos not smart enough to type up proper sentences, stay away from this thread, enough morons posted here already.
    "IQ of a squirrel" while your only responses were posts like this that make you look braindead and copied articles that I'm sure you didn't uderstand when you read them.

stick to gunz topics idiot, you are obviously too stupid to understand that I agreed with your post rofl
    thats wierd,

pretty sure u started giving me shit first in this thread?

i just posted my opinion which is asked for on this thread and you start giving me shit.

**** you retard.
    Last edited by KoVuMASA; 05-16-2014 at 08:32 PM.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread Information