Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    HellSniper's Avatar Mad Scientist

Country
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by slugheady View Post
    You just compared the holy books to a harry potter novel? You sir, are quite dumb The context of those books are totally different.
    Not really, they are just books with stories in them.
    Seeing them as a "historical" record of how things went ... yah no, if you defend that then you might be the dumb one '_'

Wucas Pls's Avatar Asuka Langley Soryu

Thanks
    Originally Posted by HellSniper View Post
    If you are stupid enough to think a fairy tail is real and enact stuff that is written in the respective "holy" book aka the fairy tail ... then yes, religion is at fault.
    Nobody has anything against the people that just do their thing but there is a problem when you go about killing people or stoning people because they dont like your favorite fairy.
    All these arbitrary rules in religion, that are taken serious and are practiced SOLELY because its said so in what ever religious book.
    Say, stoning women who dont run around in burkas, women arent aloud to go places, have to walk behind their husbands etc. the western religions have a fair share of stupid shit aswell, not saying its just the east thats bonkers.

You cant just dismiss religion as not being at fault for all the cruel and bad things that happen in the world.
    Though i agree that humanity is rotten from the inside and mroe and more comes to the surface the more the world gets accesible via internet etc.
    Youd often think that the world has gone to shit (well it has) but for the most part you are just more aware of the shit thats going on, due to the internet and other media outlets.
    ... but that is the conclusion you have come to in order to make that decision. Not everyone has walked your path, and to think that they are all simply "wrong" because they have a differing view than you is silly.

Does religion have silly rules in some aspects? Yah, but as long as they do not break laws of the area in which they are practiced, it shouldn't even be an argument that they are present. When was the last time you heard a person of Jewish beliefs stoning a person in Europe (hint, its less than 1). These laws were present for the culture in which they were written, they are not required to be enacted just because someone has chosen a religion to follow.

3. The following user said thank you to Wucas Pls for this useful post:

slugheady (06-07-2014)

ZAIN's Avatar ʎlǝuol os ɯ,I

Country
    Thanks
    religion is just another way to group people together with similar opinions. it doesnt matter wether its in religion, political views (exmaple: liberal vs conservative) or even gaming (CoD vs Battlefield), as long as people have clashing opinions, there's gonna be fighting. so fundamentally, religion is not at fault here.

slugheady's Avatar ୧༼***༽୨

Thanks
    Originally Posted by Corque View Post
    No, what I said was:

My opinion in the bible is that it's a book which has gone wrong.
    People fantasized, fan-boy'd it and it went extreme. So, I gave an example of a future bible if it went the same way I opposed the Bible went, e.g. Harry Potter.
    I don't think I'm "quite dumb" - you just jumped to conclusions and read what you wanted to read.

Not really, they are just books with stories in them.
    Seeing them as a "historical" record of how things went ... yah no, if you defend that then you might be the dumb one '_'
    I don't think you can say that holy books like the bible is just a story, you can say however that the harry potter books are just a story. Religious people don't read their holy books thinking it is just a story, events that supposedly happened in the past are written in them in a way to teach you how to live. I'm not an expert, I don't know every word that is written in a bible but for me there is a big difference between a holy book and harry potter. I've read most of the harry potter books, enjoyed them but I would never compare them with any holy book.

Everybody believes in their own way, religious or not. Saying religion got fanboyed and fantasized which led it to go wrong is some way to put it. I indeed think that especially people like the Jihad did that with their religion. But then you just point out a very small margin of the religious people. There are plenty more that do believe, in their own way and realize what is reality and that not everything that is written in a holy book is meant to be taken literal. And those people barely even get noticed, and you can't put them in the same box with the extremists.

6. The following user said thank you to slugheady for this useful post:

Wucas Pls (06-07-2014)

Country
    Thanks
    Err theres a few and recent stories where people born in germany, of islamic/eastern ethnicity, got killed by their siblings/family for ruining the families "honor" by not behaving correctly and other reasons.
    Or they abduct them, bring them back to their original country to kill them there because the "law" more or less allows it there.

Wucas Pls's Avatar Asuka Langley Soryu

Thanks
    Originally Posted by slugheady View Post
    I don't think you can say that holy books like the bible is just a story, you can say however that the harry potter books are just a story. Religious people don't read their holy books thinking it is just a story, events that supposedly happened in the past are written in them in a way to teach you how to live. I'm not an expert, I don't know every word that is written in a bible but for me there is a big difference between a holy book and harry potter. I've read most of the harry potter books, enjoyed them but I would never compare them with any holy book.

Everybody believes in their own way, religious or not. Saying religion got fanboyed and fantasized which led it to go wrong is some way to put it. I indeed think that especially people like the Jihad did that with their religion. But then you just point out a very small margin of the religious people. There are plenty more that do believe, in their own way and realize what is reality and that not everything that is written in a holy book is meant to be taken literal. And those people barely even get noticed, and you can't put them in the same box with the extremists.
    Quoting for truth.

Err theres a few and recent stories where people born in germany, of islamic/eastern ethnicity, got killed by their siblings/family for ruining the families "honor" by not behaving correctly and other reasons.
    Or they abduct them, bring them back to their original country to kill them there because the "law" more or less allows it there.
    ... and these said people were not allowed to just get away with it were they? Just because one idiot decided to take someone else's life into their own hands does not make it the status quot for religion in general. Just because I play D&D doesn't make me more likely to go and ax someone in the head.

People are crazy, religion is just the scapegoat. People want to believe that there has to be something "wrong" with someone because they make bad decisions, when in reality, some people are just evil.
    Last edited by Wucas Pls; 06-07-2014 at 04:02 PM.

Juriën's Avatar :(){ :|: & };:

Country
    Thanks

Country
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by Wucas Pls View Post
    People are crazy, religion is just the scapegoat. People want to believe that there has to be something "wrong" with someone because they make bad decisions, when in reality, some people are just evil.
    Sadly we'll never see a world without religion just to compare and find out how big of an impact no religion could have.

slugheady's Avatar ୧༼***༽୨

Thanks
    Sadly we'll never see a world without religion just to compare and find out how big of an impact no religion could have.
    Religion can be compared to norms and values in my opinion, which is indeed equal to the core of humanity. Maybe religion cannot be a direct blame for wars since religion is something personal for each individual, regardless of being Christian, Muslim or believing in anything else. But I do think that religion is used as an argument to start wars, especially by extremists such as the jihad.

The wars that have happened in the past and are still ongoing would still have happened if there was no religion, because the norms and values of the people are different. It's a really complicated question which couldn't be answered by a simple yes or no, well thats what 'I' think.
    This^

StephanM's Avatar 🌹

Country
    Thanks
    Again.. religion is just a guidance for people, nothing more or less..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information