Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Eddie's Avatar find ɟlǝsɹnoʎ

Country
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by Vickachu View Post
    because the american government and IS have such good morals from their riligion both killing many innocent people. It is actually harmfull (in my opinion) when people go around and try to indoctrinate their acient fairy tales upon normal people. It keeps people from questioning authority wich is essential for new development. Its not only bad because IS uses violence but it will hold back progress of a civilization.
    Maybe you missed the part where I said "sometimes" lol... Obviously there are exceptions (ISIS in this case). I meant more the people who go to churches/mosques/synagogues etcetcetc and grow up learning to help others, to love and respect, things like that. Obviously the ENTIRE religion as a whole isn't going to make you that way, but they're just little things people can pick up from the religion and the passages they hear/read. Take me for example. I was raised Catholic and went to church every Sunday and listened to all the readings from the pastor. I picked up a lot of good lessons from the stories. But even though I'm now an atheist, and despite how difficult it is to believe anything in those passages really happened, that doesn't make the lesson any less true. And regardless of when I was a firm believer in Catholicism or am now strictly Atheist, I always questioned authority. Others do as well. Not everyone who follows a religion is that weak-minded and follows EVERY single aspect of the religion. Many people have their doubts/disagreements on certain parts to their religion. And that's good. It leaves them questioning, which as you said, is essential for new development.

Eddie | Kiwi | Suiji

Vickachu's Avatar Vikutoru

Thanks
    Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Maybe you missed the part where I said "sometimes" lol... Obviously there are exceptions (ISIS in this case). I meant more the people who go to churches/mosques/synagogues etcetcetc and grow up learning to help others, to love and respect, things like that. Obviously the ENTIRE religion as a whole isn't going to make you that way, but they're just little things people can pick up from the religion and the passages they hear/read. Take me for example. I was raised Catholic and went to church every Sunday and listened to all the readings from the pastor. I picked up a lot of good lessons from the stories. But even though I'm now an atheist, and despite how difficult it is to believe anything in those passages really happened, that doesn't make the lesson any less true. And regardless of when I was a firm believer in Catholicism or am now strictly Atheist, I always questioned authority. Others do as well. Not everyone who follows a religion is that weak-minded and follows EVERY single aspect of the religion. Many people have their doubts/disagreements on certain parts to their religion. And that's good. It leaves them questioning, which as you said, is essential for new development.
    people can learn to love and respect without religion just fine. there is also alot of fcked up shit in the bible about rape, slavery etc. no not everyone is weak minded but alot of them are. Its not a coincidence that in poor education areas (just like in the US and in the Middle East) you see alot of fundementalists. These religions were designed to keep people like this ignorant and hatefull towards people with other believes. because if they can get the majority of a population stupid and ignorant its easier for a government to control it.
    Last edited by Vickachu; 09-14-2014 at 06:13 PM.

Metanova's Avatar No.

Country
    Thanks
    The fact that Obama calls them ISIL and not ISIS for the Levant based on the destruction of Israel has given me doubts that he has the morality to lead America.
    Last edited by Metanova; 09-14-2014 at 06:23 PM.

slugheady's Avatar ୧༼***༽୨

Thanks
    Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    I, for one, can't stand religion. I like that it sometimes can instill good morals/values in people, but other than that I hate it. All bias aside though, I don't see the harm in trying to convince random people to follow a certain religion. That's one of the main purposes of any religion. HOW they go about convincing these people is the difference maker. There's a difference between someone knocking at your doorstep convincing you to "follow and spread the word of God," and the means ISIS uses to force their views into these people's minds.
    That's far from true. We're living in the 20th century, not the 10th. I respect religion, as long as people can keep it to themselves. I don't mind any religion in that regard. I dislike the people who try to convince that their religion is a necessity in life, thats what I think is wrong with religion nowadays. Claiming that religion drives people to make other people believe is nonsense, it's something that might have been true a couple of hundred years ago.

Vickachu's Avatar Vikutoru

Thanks
    Originally Posted by slugheady View Post
    That's far from true. We're living in the 20th century, not the 10th. I respect religion, as long as people can keep it to themselves. I don't mind any religion in that regard. I dislike the people who try to convince that their religion is a necessity in life, thats what I think is wrong with religion nowadays. Claiming that religion drives people to make other people believe is nonsense, it's something that might have been true a couple of hundred years ago.
    isnt that just the problem with orginised religion in general? they try to get as much followers as possible. dont religious people force their believes on their children? just the fact that you have to teach a human being to believe and that it isnt part of our biology is just proof that these religions are BS.

slugheady's Avatar ୧༼***༽୨

Thanks
    Originally Posted by Vickachu View Post
    isnt that just the problem with orginised religion in general? they try to get as much followers as possible. dont religious people force their believes on their children? just the fact that you have to teach a human being to believe and that it isnt part of our biology is just proof that these religions are BS.
    Majority of the religious people believe the way they want to. They might try to convince their friends, family or whatnot, but not just any random person. What people decide to teach their own children is their choice, there is nothing wrong with believing in something bigger than humanity. Religion comes close to norms and values of nonreligious people as well, and thats something we teach our children as well. My point with religion is that it's fine as long as people keep it to their selves, that doesn't mean they can't talk or argue about it, as long as random people don't approach me outside or ring my doorbell then I'm fine with it.

Cone's Avatar Connor. WHAM!

Thanks
    How can you say that lol. It's wrong when random people try to convince you to believe in a religion, any religion.
    100% agree with this. I could understand if people want others to believe what they believe, that's fair enough. But forcing it is ****ing wrong.

What's the point in using force, because then people aren't believing it for themselves, they're believing through Fear.

EpicKLF's Avatar Why am i purple?...

Country
    Thanks
    How can you say that lol. It's wrong when random people try to convince you to believe in a religion, any religion.
    What i meant by "Convince" is a different meaning than "force". Believe what you will but one common aspect in all religions is to spread its beliefs and most of it is not done with force/severing heads by any means. this is why i personally believe ISIL crossed the line on this one.

Btw, you guys arent talking much about ISIL, mostly about questioning and dissing religion in general from the looks of the more recent replies...

#1Chef's Avatar FGunZ E.L.I.T.E Member

Country
    Thanks
    lol tbh i see this "ISIS" group nothing related to the religion in any way. They just made up some beliefs and facts of their's about a religion and said "yup that's what the religion tells us to do" when it's really just some bs they made up themselves. This ISIS group is just a terrorist group, they got this stupid ideology in their minds that's completely wrong in so many ways, nothing to do with Islam at all. They're representing a religion that doesn't support what they're doing and that doesn't include the rules they say are included in it.
    People who support ISIS should just die, like how can you support a terrorist group, with their fake ideologies and inhumane actions of murder.

Boss's Avatar 伊諾

Country
    Thanks
    Let me spice this up a little.

Religion is a cancer to society. IS and all the support they get from islamic people all around the world (including my country) prove this, and it sickens me. Obviously I am not attacking all believers as there is a big range in severeness, but if in any way you think they have the correct intentions and beliefs you are a disgrace to humanity.
    Male 1: "check out this paki he's doing a donut in his car"
    Male 2: "is that a toyota corola?"
    Male 1: "no, its a VW golf"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information