Originally Posted by Vickachu View Post
because the american government and IS have such good morals from their riligion both killing many innocent people. It is actually harmfull (in my opinion) when people go around and try to indoctrinate their acient fairy tales upon normal people. It keeps people from questioning authority wich is essential for new development. Its not only bad because IS uses violence but it will hold back progress of a civilization.
Maybe you missed the part where I said "sometimes" lol... Obviously there are exceptions (ISIS in this case). I meant more the people who go to churches/mosques/synagogues etcetcetc and grow up learning to help others, to love and respect, things like that. Obviously the ENTIRE religion as a whole isn't going to make you that way, but they're just little things people can pick up from the religion and the passages they hear/read. Take me for example. I was raised Catholic and went to church every Sunday and listened to all the readings from the pastor. I picked up a lot of good lessons from the stories. But even though I'm now an atheist, and despite how difficult it is to believe anything in those passages really happened, that doesn't make the lesson any less true. And regardless of when I was a firm believer in Catholicism or am now strictly Atheist, I always questioned authority. Others do as well. Not everyone who follows a religion is that weak-minded and follows EVERY single aspect of the religion. Many people have their doubts/disagreements on certain parts to their religion. And that's good. It leaves them questioning, which as you said, is essential for new development.