Jetman's Avatar TBF Sage

Thanks
    So, I've received many questions from players about these 2 settings, what they do and why should they use/not use it. Well, Instead of just explaining via text, i'll be including images to make it easier to understand.

Stencil buffering:

GunZ originally used a 16bit depth buffer (you can wiki what it does if you want). I changed GunZ to use D3DFMT_D24S8, which is simply a 24 bit depth buffer with 8 bit stenciling. What this does it prevent certain textures from glitching. Example mansion:

Stencil buffering disabled:

Stencil buffering enabled:

As you can see from comparing the two pictures, with stencil buffering enabled, the texture above the door no longer has that weird stripey glitch. This applies to all maps and all texture related issues.

Now that you've seen what stencil buffering does, lets move onto multisampling. Multisampling is another way of saying antialiasing. To be more specific it's a method of antialiasing. MSAA (multisampled antialiasing), is what gunz uses. there's many more but there's no need to explain them. Antialiasing clears up the jagged edges seen around objects.

Multisampling disabled:

2x Multisampling:

Notice that the amount of jagged lines is greatly reduced from 2x multisampling. This is further reduced in 4x, and even further reduced in 8x. If you're experiencing fps lag, lower the multisampling you're using.

If there's any other questions, feel free to post a reply here.

2. The following 7 users say thank you to Jetman for this useful post:

braazts (08-27-2015), Bunny (08-28-2015), Dragon (08-27-2015), Eran (08-27-2015), Jonathan pls (08-28-2015), xRson (08-28-2015), ZAIN (08-27-2015)

Dragon's Avatar Goblin Slayer Darwin

Country
    Thanks
    I want to try this one because i got a low ass performance rig. But i dont know how to do it. Is there any tutorials on how to this. I've already used google utube and i have found nothing. If you have any tutorials on how this one works, then i will give it a try. Have a good day.

Banned

Country
    Thanks
    ^ if you got a low ass performance rig dont bother with multi-sampling it will jus drop your fps more

Jetman's Avatar TBF Sage

Thanks
    Originally Posted by Darwin Pls View Post
    I want to try this one because i got a low ass performance rig. But i dont know how to do it. Is there any tutorials on how to this. I've already used google utube and i have found nothing. If you have any tutorials on how this one works, then i will give it a try. Have a good day.
    WHat are your computer specs Darwin? Dxdiag and screenshot them and then post here. Some computer hardware doesn't support multisampling.

Bunny's Avatar woof.

Country
    Thanks
    Why not just apply stencil buffering to the game? It's not like someone wants to see those glitches

Jetman's Avatar TBF Sage

Thanks
    Originally Posted by Bunnies View Post
    Why not just apply stencil buffering to the game? It's not like someone wants to see those glitches
    Some computers don't support stencil buffering, so it can't be autoenabled for everyone.

Country
    Thanks
    Oh sorry for the late reply i was on mobile when i saw this post. So here it is.

Jetman's Avatar TBF Sage

Thanks
    Originally Posted by Darwin Pls View Post
    Oh sorry for the late reply i was on mobile when i saw this post. So here it is.

http://i60.tinypic.com/10xaj6a.png

http://i62.tinypic.com/2q21w01.png
    The cpu isn't bad, but your graphics card isn't realy enough to handle multisampling :/ You can try enable 2x multisamplig in the option menu (1337 page 2), but i think you'll have too much lag.

Country
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by Jetman View Post
    The cpu isn't bad, but your graphics card isn't realy enough to handle multisampling :/ You can try enable 2x multisamplig in the option menu (1337 page 2), but i think you'll have too much lag.
    Alright i'll try if it does improve my fps a lil bit. But yeah thanks for helpin.

Thread Information