Thanks
    Before anyone asks. I've read the help FAQ and tried all of it, to no avail.

1: There's no config.xml to delete in the first place. I've tried running both launcher or the exe. Creating my own xml file does not help.
    2: Have, and run Direct X 11. PC is running Win 8.1, up to date.
    3: .NET 3.5 and 4.5 are already installed, including all of the windows security updates for it.
    4: Using the latest nvidia drivers for my card, so that can be ruled out.
    5: I have x86 and x64 of Visual Studio 2005, 2008, 2010, 2013. Nevertheless I ran a repair for the vcredist x86 and x64 files but it didn't have any affect. (I use 64bit)
    6: Opened both as admin, or plain user. No difference. Setting always open as admin, also no difference.
    7: Compatibility mode for Win7 failed. First time I've ever seen this, it usually just has no effect instead of refusing to open.
    8: Already have full access control in permissions.
    9: Attempted to reinstall FgunZ from different mirrors even, including the prepackaged zip, no difference.

I don't usually seek out help but I've been able to run FG in the past on this PC with no issues, now it's all broken and I've exhausted my options besides a clean format. So I'm here if anyone else has any ideas. Really do not want to try solving this with Win10, would probably downgrade to 7 before that.

mlog
    Code:
    GUNZ 1,0,0,290 launched. build (Sep 19 2015 15:42:50) 
    Log time (12/23/15 01:28:47)
    Linear88's Runnable!
    CPU ID = AuthenticAMD ( family = 24847 , model = 3 , stepping = 1 ) @ 3892 MHz
    Display Device = NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 ( vendor=10de device=1382 subsys=6893103c revision=a2 )
    Display Driver Version = 10.18.0013.6143
    Windows = 6.2 Build 9200 , n/a (64-bit) (4194303KB) :  Windows 8..
    Load XML from memory : system/locale.xml- SUCCESS
    Load Config from file : config.xml- FAIL
    Load XML from memory : system/system.xml- SUCCESS
    Load XML from memory : system/strings.xml(0x0009) - SUCCESS
    Load XML from memory : system/cserror.xml(0x0009) - SUCCESS
    Load XML from memory : system/messages.xml(0x0009) - SUCCESS
    Load XML from memory : system/gametypecfg.xml 
    Dmp ok.
    InitializeNotify ok.
    WFog Enabled Device.
    can't create device
    can't init display
    error init RInitD3D
    Last edited by Qwin; 12-23-2015 at 09:11 AM.

Banned

Country
    Thanks
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=30653
    download this let me know if it helps

made a thread on how to fix this error with multiple solutions but someone took the credit for it so i refuse to share it ^_^

Thanks
    Thanks but I already have this installed from the add remove programs, add features method but I downloaded your file just in case. Edited main post for additional clarification

Result:
    Details
    Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 is already a part of this operating system. You do not need to install the .NET Framework 4.5 redistributable.
    Same or higher version of .NET Framework 4.5 has already been installed on this computer.
    Last edited by Qwin; 12-23-2015 at 09:12 AM.

Thanks
    Ended up solving this myself

Problem was the video drivers, except not how the FAQ advises. Yes sometimes updating is beneficial but there's just as many when it's not and becomes counter intuitive. Rolling back to much earlier drivers when I had GunZ working last year fixed it up and the new drivers caused nothing but errors. I just wanted to chill on FG tonight but spent more time than I'd like troubleshooting. If it aint broke don't fix it.
    Last edited by Qwin; 12-23-2015 at 11:00 AM.

Banned

Country
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    Ended up solving this myself

Problem was the video drivers, except not how the FAQ advises. Yes sometimes updating is beneficial but there's just as many when it's not and becomes counter intuitive. Rolling back to much earlier drivers when I had GunZ working last year fixed it up and the new drivers caused nothing but errors. I just wanted to chill on FG tonight but spent more time than I'd like troubleshooting. If it aint broke don't fix it.
    Initially the error normally occurs when DirectDraw or Direct3D isn't enabled in DirectX Diagnostics (Run > dxdiag).

Thread Information