v8 has done some things right, but I think it's a case of trying to reinvent too much at once.

Vanilla has gotten a little extra addition with the no gems rule but I don't really think that's enough. For it to really be called "Vanilla" it should be as close to GunZ's official code as possible. I'm sure there's a lot of people who wanted to try v8's new balancing without dropoff and the hitbox changes so I would highly suggest adding in the option to do so, or the only choice people have is to leave the server if they want to play classic gunz.

If having optional hitbox changes isnt possible, I'm sure mod-coding out the drop-off damage is, and people would probably be more open to v8 if we had a way to play what was the standard before. Dropoff is a case of adding something no one ever asked for, and a 10 reply poll buried in the debates section out of 100s of players doesnt count.

Maybe the hitbox and dropoff will become the new hot thing in the future like how anti-lead took over servers and lead is mostly a thing of the past, but right now I think people (like me) would rather like being able to pick whether they want to play on v8's code changes or not, not being forced into it or packing up and leaving. I know the response will already be "but the balance is with the code changes in mind" and maybe it will be broken if we use the standard GunZ code but I would rather see it for myself. I havent found a single person who likes the dropoff damage change yet.