Mkay, so I got this friend, however he's not a friend ya know?

I've been playing gladiator with the kid since the start of a popular gunz pserver(I'll leave its name blank, due to rules), and I've literally known the kid since he'd joined the server and could hardly even glad worth shit. We've been friends throughout the most part of that time to now, except for when he disappeared for awhile, then came back and started waving around a shit ego attitude just because he could spam TBF(Granted that is an accomplishment, it doesn't mean you're god does it?). Back to the subject ~.~ we've developed what seems to be a love hate relationship ^_^ one day he's being unusually nice and alluring, and the next he's trying to ego me, non-bow, taunt, calling me ez, etc.

anyone got any advice? I apparently provoke him somehow(usually this occurs when I mention his real name, which I don't understand...I mean is that really reason enough to get upset over?), regardless I'm getting kind of sick of dealing with this bipolar what-ever the **** it is I'd like to find a way to mend the wounds, or cut it clean ._. and ofc there's always the block function, but do I really want to throw a good 5-6 years of knowing a kid down the drain just because he's got his panties in a twist over something?

Idk, I just need a lil advice. Should I try to be his friend(regardless of how much he'd like to ego me) or should I cut clean ._.