Dualage's Avatar 2hu nerdlord

Country
    Thanks
    So, if you came here, probably a high chance that you, like me, just LOOOVE the musical pieces you hear from video games.

Whether it be 8-bit, 16-bit, modern... whatever. YOU LIKE VIDEO GAME MUSIC and you went to go see this thread out of curiosity.

"Now, what's this post all about?" you must be thinking to yourself (even if you weren't you probably are now. See? That question is now constantly popping up, forcing your mind to demand the answer).

Well... it's about Video Game Music and that's really all there is too it (anti-climactic, but gets to the point).

What I mean is I have a place where you can download and listen to Ripped video game music right from its source. If it's a SNES game, it was ripped from its ROM. Same goes for everything else (Disc-based games ripped from ISO formats of course).

You WILL need Winrar or and extracting software of your choice for each set you download (whoever doesn't have Winrar/7-zip etc. should go back to internet basics 101 because it's an online staple). You will also need a music player that is compatible with plugins that are able to support said music files (They aren't in a convenient .mp3 format. They are in their original state with the best quality possible up to a 1400kbps bitrate). You can either use Winamp or a heavily recommended Foobar as the components are much easier to simply add and the fact that Foobar is just a very good music player overall.

To find said components, you can take a look at the site posted at the bottom of this post and it will provide you with components that are related to the file type your media file contains.

I may note that basically every console has its own special type of music file, so basically you will need a component for EACH ONE OF THEM. However you only need to install it once and it literally takes less than 5 seconds (excluding download time) to install each one. And the files are very small so download times aren't even an issue.

This is for the sake of video game music only. I could make a simple threads, but it would be just that much better if some of you learned about this. The best part of all this is that most of these files are so damn small that if you compare them 1:1 with .FLAC (which is essentially THE EXACT same file type in comparison), you will save so much space it's ridiculous.

Example: Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver's entire music archive in .2sf format is LESS THAN 2MB. That's less than an average song with a 192kbps bitrate. Think of this, .2sf has the exact(or extremely close to) same quality as .FLAC (which is the best possible file type for CD ripped music). A whole album's worth in .FLAC can hit up to 1GB if it's a large album; sometimes up to 100MB a song (though average is around 30-40MB per). But for the sake of how much tracks there are in HG/SS and the duration added up, .FLAC format would possibly jump that to a possible 10GB for the whole musical archive of the game. Just remember that .FLAC isn't possible for video game music and that comparison is just hypothetical and only made to compare size totals for the same quality. I wish I could say why they can't be in .FLAC, but google will give you what you need in regards to answers.

But yea, for those who want to delve into some of their favorite video game themes right from the source itself, there ya go.

Last note: Not every game is in the video game archive and not every music format does have a supporting component (such as PSP atrak... yea have fun with that). If you cannot find a component, just post and I will try my best to find one out there and hand it out to ya. That decoder archive doesn't have everything, but it generally has what is needed.

.....:::::Steps for TL;DR version:::::.....

1) Download Foobar music player HERE

2) Find whatever Video game music you are looking for on Joshw archives

3) Download and install the required foobar component for your file type HERE

4) Foobar can now recognize the file type and play them via audio so now listen away in the best quality possible.
    Last edited by Dualage; 08-09-2013 at 08:23 AM.

Google's Avatar 눈 ͜ಎ눈

Thanks
    Why'd you format your thread that way D:

Anyhow, you can already find all of the music on the internet. :c; I'll try it anyways.

Dualage's Avatar 2hu nerdlord

Country
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by Google View Post
    Why'd you format your thread that way D:

Anyhow, you can already find all of the music on the internet. :c; I'll try it anyways.
    That is ultimately true, but something else that is true is the fact .mp3 is one of the worst file formats if it isn't ripped in v0 format from a TTA/CUE file. If it's not ripped that way (where TTA and CUE files can only be ripped from CDs), your .mp3 will lose quality over time at an average loss of 12kbps on its bitrate per year on a harddrive disk (yes, this includes solid state; anything the mp3 lives on essentially). After about 2-3 years it does become noticeable and trust me when I say it gets bad. Using a youtube > .mp3 ripper is a prime example of limited use because though it may promise a 192kbps bitrate, it's been on youtube's shelf ever since upload. So If it's been on youtube for three years, it's already lost about 30-40kbps and will still sound bad at "192kbps".

The point of these file formats is that they are like .FLAC, which is a high quality LOSSLESS format. It will retain its quality for however long it remains anywhere. Same does apply to mp3 v0, but the quality is a bit lesser (though you'd need grand quality headphones to be able to even notify the difference). So all these themes will keep their quality and sound great instead of finding converted .mp3s which more than likely lost a chunk of its bitrate.

And my bad about formatting. It was like 5AM and I was tired. I'll clean it up sometime later; still tired (worked from an all-nighter because apparently I'm an idiot).

Thread Information