Dante's Avatar Nephilim Son Of Sparda

Thanks
    Hey guys,

I wanted to know, does any of you guys know how to fix "BOOTMGR is missing" error on a laptop?
    Though, I've tried to format the hard disk drive but simply won't let me because it doesn't read the CD/DVD drive as well.

Is there any way I can fix this by installing an opensource OS through an USB? Then I would try reinstalling through my CD/DVD, because I need this laptop I have as soon as possible for college, which is an HP Pavilion dv7.

What else I could use as a possible solution?

Thanks!
    Mina

NotGhost's Avatar Ghost from INDIA

Country
    Thanks
    did this just start happening?

- - - Updated - - -

Originally Posted by ^1G^0host^7 View Post
    did this just start happening?
    If so you could always try to do a system restore.
    |Forgot|

Ao's Avatar Advanced Member

Thanks
    I always reset my computer even if theres a fix.

Azuki's Avatar Dazed

Country
    Thanks
    hm, have you checked your boot sequence in BIOS? make sure the correct hard drive or the bootable device is listed first, otherwise if its wrong drive listed first you'll get that message.
    or check your SATA or PATA cables, sometimes loose controller cables or malfunctioning cables can also cause that thing.
    Last edited by Azuki; 02-21-2015 at 10:33 AM.

Juriën's Avatar :(){ :|: & };:

Country
    Thanks
    This is very hard to fix, it can be done by booting up the cd, open command prompt and run fixmbr, but I guess it's pretty difficult.

you probably deleted the system restored partition, and now you technically ****ed up.

Banned

Country
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by Minamimoto View Post
    Hey guys,

I wanted to know, does any of you guys know how to fix "BOOTMGR is missing" error on a laptop?
    Though, I've tried to format the hard disk drive but simply won't let me because it doesn't read the CD/DVD drive as well.

Is there any way I can fix this by installing an opensource OS through an USB? Then I would try reinstalling through my CD/DVD, because I need this laptop I have as soon as possible for college, which is an HP Pavilion dv7.

What else I could use as a possible solution?

Thanks!
    Mina
    The error means MBR has been removed, so it can't detect Windows or any other installed OS on another partition. You can fix this using Windows Recovery via Windows Installation. Just for the record, I noticed a lot of PCs/Laptops don't boot from DVD discs, so it would be wise to make a bootable USB of Windows.

If you plan on taking the 'open source' route to fix this issue, there are two options. You can use a Linux based distribution such as Ubuntu, Elementary, Mint, etc or ReactOS with has the look & feel of Windows and emulates the architecture of Windows to run Windows programs and install Windows drivers.

Thanks
    I've done already all that as been mentioned by yiu guys, what I'm trying to do now, I've put my Hard Disk Drive in another computer (since the disk reads properly with a working reader), but my reader is functional, the power passes in but can't read.

Now, in that other computer it seems like it's working and formatting.

P.S. Just wait before locking the thread, thank!

Banned

Country
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by Minamimoto View Post
    I've done already all that as been mentioned by yiu guys, what I'm trying to do now, I've put my Hard Disk Drive in another computer (since the disk reads properly with a working reader), but my reader is functional, the power passes in but can't read.

Now, in that other computer it seems like it's working and formatting.

P.S. Just wait before locking the thread, thank!
    I was going to say.. Putting a hard drive with Windows already installed in another computer will require you to reformat anyway.

9. The following user said thank you to Paul for this useful post:

Dante (02-21-2015)

Thanks
    Managed to format it with an External USB CD/DVD drive!

You can now close the thread, thanks!

Thread Information