Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Grascen's Avatar Original Elite

Country
    Thanks
    Sooo.... It seems I get asked to put forth some sort of comment or something, even though I've been off the staff for quite some time now(personal choice).

McSic seems to be worried about whether or not this new rule(no 3-word posts) is actually good for the forum, due to the response it has received. I am going to share my view on it, to everyone, only because McSic asked nicely(that and to shut a few of you up).

The real idea behind this rule, I'm guessing, is to prevent those really stupid posts that don't contribute to the thread at all. Most likely, you know what I'm talking about. If you don't, here's some examples:
    -"Lawlzzz /10 char"
    -"Ha ha /10 char"
    -"Funny /10 char"
    -"Orly? /10 char"
    -"I dunno /10 char"

Now, some are concerned this rule will interfere with actually useful posts that just happen to be about three words long. Here's my answer: It won't. If your post actually had some relevance, any competent moderator will leave it be. The rule was mainly set in place to get rid of the retarded spam posts. The wording of the rule should be replaced and defined to something along the likes of "No spam-like posts that do not contribute to the topic in any real way.", but not be enforced too hard. Have that rule set in place, but only warn/infract/suspend if the user does it often.

To address the "delete the posts, don't infract people!" argument: I'd like to ask you a simple question. If I delete over one hundred stupid posts, do you think people are gonna learn anything? No. It provides even more work for the moderators. If I infract 5 people over stupid posts, do you think people are gonna learn anything? Enough will. The majority of the people here don't like being infracted/banned from the forums, so a majority of the people will refrain from doing it.

To address the moderators: This a a game forum with a closely knit community of friends(with a few people who aren't friends with each other). Although we want to keep the forums pretty clean, it doesn't need to be "job application" clean.

Now, McSic, I hope you're happy.

Edit:
    Originally Posted by Weiipeiik
    And reptar, grascen wouldnt do that
    Seriously, dude? Not a single one of you REALLY knows me. I'm one of the most unpredictable mother f***ers you've ever met.
    Last edited by Grascen; 08-07-2010 at 01:05 PM.

Vickachu's Avatar Vikutoru

Thanks
    Good job. It's too bad you arn't with us anymore. (im not blaming you)

Dave's Avatar 1' or 1=1--

Country
    Thanks
    And now I'm very happy too.
    It's a terrible thing, I think, in life to wait until you're ready.
    I have this feeling now that actually no one is ever ready to do anything.
    There is almost no such thing as ready. There is only now.
    And you may as well do it now. Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.

Boss's Avatar 伊諾

Country
    Thanks
    But wait, there was a rule against spam already. So this new rule is just a sub-rule of the actual spam rule. Think of some useful rules egh?
    Male 1: "check out this paki he's doing a donut in his car"
    Male 2: "is that a toyota corola?"
    Male 1: "no, its a VW golf"

Grascen's Avatar Original Elite

Country
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by Eno View Post
    But wait, there was a rule against spam already. So this new rule is just a sub-rule of the actual spam rule. Think of some useful rules egh?
    There it is. The one thing I knew I was leaving out. Thank you for point that out.

This rule IS a sub-division of that Oh-so-special rule "DO NOT SPAM". The reason why it was even brought up in the first place was because people weren't following it. Apparently, part of that rule actually needed to be specified.

Boss's Avatar 伊諾

Country
    Thanks
    Why not just start infracting them instead of spamming in the ToS, cause this anti-spam rule is just rule spam.

slugheady's Avatar ୧༼***༽୨

Thanks
    Rule should be applied especially at the GFX section, lots of folks just say : "I like it". Now thats worth a warning atleast because its totally not usefull commentary... The rule should be a little bit editted in the way of commentary that isn't usefull is worth a warning, arguments that are off-topic in a forum and the /10char sentences.
    Also notice that if somebody comments on a signature, a 3d model or what so ever that there should be a commentary with a reason why you like it and tips to make it better, that will prevent the spams =)

wow I was doing several things at once so this story is hard to read but okiee

Boss's Avatar 伊諾

Country
    Thanks
    Or just remove the rule and sttick with the no spam rule. So that spam less than three words get removed, but also the more worded spams.

Yaay.

slugheady's Avatar ୧༼***༽୨

Thanks
    Originally Posted by Eno View Post
    Or just remove the rule and sttick with the no spam rule. So that spam less than three words get removed, but also the more worded spams.

Yaay.
    Question is, what is spam? lol the most mods aren't on the same line, have diffrent ideas of what spam is XD I should have been infracted several times but nothing happens XD

Boss's Avatar 伊諾

Country
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by slugheady View Post
    Question is, what is spam? lol the most mods aren't on the same line, have diffrent ideas of what spam is XD I should have been infracted several times but nothing happens XD
    The 3-word spam rule really isn't gonna help you to define spam.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information