I personally think the age should be increased to 25. There's no reason an 18 year old male/female needs to be equipped with a gun. A knife, mace, a taser or something of that sort I'd understand, but you don't need no god damn gun at age 18, not even at 21.

Have mental health/illness disorder checks regularly done on people who wish to purchase a gun. I'd also have them go a lot more in depth with these check ups, since plenty of people can pass them and still be ****ed up in the head enough to go out and murder people. This kid in the Florida shooting is a prime example.

Also I think the only guns that should be allowed for purchase should be handguns. You don't need to be equipped with a damn assault rifle "for your own protection." I know plenty of my friends who are around my age (23) that own assault rifles. Makes no sense to me. You don't need anything more than a handgun to stop an intruder as long as you know how to aim it. If you can't aim and feel like you need an AR to make up for that lack of aim so you can just spray and pray, take lessons on how to shoot. Simple. And if hunting, say animals for example, is a hobby to you, you shouldn't need to hunt something with a gun stronger than a handgun. If you're trying to hunt something that massive that requires more than a handgun to take them down, IMO there's an issue.

I'd also have a recall on all weapons that have already been purchased by current gun owners. If the owner is 25 or older and owned a handgun, they could still keep it after going through mental evaluation. Anyone caught with a gun they shouldn't have after that point that was supposed to be recalled can just serve time in prison as a punishment. As far as how long of a prison sentence, that's pretty much up for another debate as a whole separate topic.

That's just my take on it.