Originally Posted by MadameDeath View Post
I've read some very interesting and some straight up stupid responses to this so I'll just throw my thoughts on this in here aswell.

I think religion is something that may have started as a very pure and innocent attempt at people trying to live by a code that made them better humans (no killing, no stealing, etc.) but lately religion has turned into a mass brainwashing cult. I say religion in general because if I mention a single religion, people with persecution complexes will start freaking out.

Religion is now used as a way to profiteer off of people who seek comfort in a group environment, I'm mainly talking about bigger establishments here. Huge churches/mosques/temples are focued on nothing but profit and religion is a great way to make some profit, I'm not saying every religious establishment is like this, there are still lots of small establishments that focus on nothing other than teaching humans to be better humans.

I think the basic messages and teachings of religion are very good for us but the way it is used now, as a way to just extort money out of people, is disgusting.
Although I slightly disagree with the whole "profiteer" context to a certain extent, what you've said summarizes my view on religion.